Hurricane / Overture - Part 0

A/N: 2.5k words, small at a large scale but still the longest chapter i've ever written.

The door of Captain's car was opened. Inside was Captain driving, Mia on the passenger's seat and on the back was Bluey, Chloe and Winnie.

Despite being a relatively small EV, Captain's drive can still pack quite the dogs, since it's one of those with the two rows of backseats which are where Rusty and Dusty would get on.

"Alright, what's the plan?" would ask the younger kelpie.

"For now, we're just gonna drive around town and see if he's on the streets" would answer Captain, who was noticeably worried.

– – –

They had already driven around Brisbane for 45 minutes (and morale was down).

"Cap, can you please stop at the café?"

"Uhm, sure... I guess we could res-"

"No we can't! We have to find him!"

"Bluey, it could be useful so we can reorganise our efforts"

"Fine..."

– – –

The café was new in town, and it was built next to a rather large old playground with one particular slide-tower (as in, the ones with the tic-tac-toe boards built in) which made Bluey uncomfortable.

Mia was off ordering a few hot chocolate drinks for everyone, so the rest of the dogs would just sit, relax and plan their next move.

Dusty was sitting on a bench in front of the slides, reading on her new K9dle. She was always a big bookworm, although if you asked her what she was reading she'd quickly dismiss you. This was until Rusty walked in on her reading Cat Squad smut, which is when everything finally clicked.

Her brothers would buy her a new eReader to replace her old hand-me-down First Gen K9DLE. One of the best things about her new device was that it had a backlight, which proved itself useful when you're out at night looking for your depressed buddy.

Bluey would sit next to her. "What are you reading, Dusty?"

"Oh, well I'm still reading the same fanfic, although this took some really weird turns and now Meowkenzie's dad is some sort of psycho. Such out of character behaviour, and apparently Infancy Services doesn't exist! Then he and Meowey got into a fight because of some weird stuff relating to lewd pics? Kinda like you two!"

"Oh, yeah..."

Dusty realised her mistake. "Sorry, didn't mean to-"

"It's alright, don't worry...", Bluey would say. She'd stare into the slides, thinking about the stuff she and Mackenzie got up to back when they were kids. "Have I ever told you why these slides are so special to me?"

"Not really..." Dusty would stop reading for a moment. "We don't talk all that much. Why are they so special, then?"

"It's kind of a long story...-"

Mia would walk in on their conversation. "Here's some chocolate, you two"

Bluey took the paper cup and took a sip. "Thanks."

Mia sat down next to them. "Anyway, any ideas of where he could have gone?"

Bluey would then feel a drop of rainfall on her snout. "Seems like it's about to rain"

"Yep. It really doesn't rain much in Brisbane, probably just a light wash. Although there was a season where the streets outright flooded"

Flooded. That's it. Eureka.