CHAPTER EIGHT: FASTING

Meanwhile, Shuu had just completed his evening workout, consisting of 400 push-ups. However, he could only manage 200 sit-ups and finally achieved a seven-minute plank hold. After his workout, he took a shower and donned a bathrobe but was interrupted by a knock on his door. Sensing Matsumae approaching, he answered from his bed.

"Good evening, Shuu-sama. I heard what happened earlier today!" Matsumae walked in with concern on her face.

"Miss Matsumae, as you can see, I am alright." Shuu smiled, throwing his arms in the air as if glorifying himself.

"Shuu! You could have been killed in your weakened state or forced to show your ghoul side in public!" Matsumae cried out.

"Ho, the calm and composed Matsumae is scolding and addressing me casually? Does Matsumae have feelings for this great one?" Shuu said with a smile on his face.

"What do you mean? You also addressed me casually too?" Matsumae said with a slight blush on her face.

"I'm sorry if I worried you, Miss Matsumae. It was a trivial matter and won't happen again." Shuu said, holding her chin to adjust her face in line with his.

"Anyway, I have your meal outside; let me wheel it in." Matsumae said, turning away from Shuu to hide her red face.

"Miss Matsumae, please understand that I won't eat for now." Shuu said with a sad smile.

"But Shuu..." Matsumae said, interrupted and shocked at the speed at which he appeared in front of her. The next action Shuu took made her maiden heart beat fast and blood rush rapidly to her face as Shuu held her in his embrace with one arm on her waist and the other on her, caressing her hair.

"I'll be fine, just make sure to prevent the school from suspending me since I'll be staying in the mansion for the rest of the month. Going out like this will only expose me to unforeseen dangers, even though the 21st ward and the neighbouring 20th ward are relatively safe thanks to that old man running the coffee shop." Shuu said. But all Matsumae heard was the first sentence and the rest was just blurred out until Shuu left her embrace only to be pulled back by Matsumae who hugged him.

"Better be strong enough just like you said." Matsumae said as she left him in his room alone.

As soon as she left, Shuu frowned, remembering what had transpired today. If Mairo hadn't stepped in, he would run out of stamina in his starved state and might have been forced to do something as disgusting as removing half the number of the weighted bracelets mid-fight. He shook his head in disgust at that thought. He then remembered his promise to his retainers and Matsumae especially and repeated his evening workout.

Shuu woke up late but earlier than noon this time and wore his tracksuit with a bag containing three bottles of cold water from the fridge in his room and set off to attempt his 190-mile jog. When he came downstairs, he was greeted by Yumma who handed a piece of folded paper to him at which he nodded and left Shuu's presence.

Kanae came back from her inspection of their auction house in preparation for the next auction event to find her young master perspiring under the harsh sun. He was keeping a slow pace while jogging. Shuu saw her and waved at her; she smiled and waved back.