CHAPTER THIRTEEN: LET'S GO HOME.

The atmosphere abruptly grew dense, as though an invisible force compelled the doctor to retreat and conceal himself. Yuuma sensed this shift, casting his eyes downward with a wide-eyed gaze.

"Okay, okay, fine! I was just joking! I'm sorry I acted that way," pleaded Doctor Chigyou, crouching behind his table.

Shuu, observing the doctor closely, ruminated, 'He lost the high ground the moment he took my ambition too lightly. This is a lesson learned in school – the more you expose yourself to others, the more susceptible you become to criticism and disdain.'

"Just show me your integrity by fulfilling your end of the bargain, and I will reciprocate in kind," Shuu asserted without looking back and left the office.

"Geez, kids these days. But that was unprofessional of me," sighed Doctor Chigyou in relief now that Shuu and his retainer had left his office.

'What I am doing is unethical. Working a deal with ghouls – it's not as if what I am doing down here is entirely ethical either. I better be cautious about this,' the doctor thought as he relaxed into his chair.

Yuuma opened the car door for Shuu as they prepared to leave the premises. Once Shuu was inside, Yuuma took the driver's seat and started the engine.

"Look for the best hotel around here," Shuu ordered, scrolling through his phone and noticing missed calls from Matsumae.

'Miss Matsumae, I don't want to burden her with any worries,' Shuu thought as he dialed her number.

Yuuma arrived at the toll gate, paid the toll fee, and drove onto the government roads. The Mercedes Yuuma rented had tinted glasses, and it was the latest model at that time, so the toll gate officers attempted to swindle poor Yuuma for more money. They tried, but this wasn't Yuuma's first rodeo.

"Shuu-sama! Where are you? Mairo has been looking for you! Your package has arrived and is in your training hall. Is Yuuma with you? I haven't seen him in the estate as well. I asked security, and they said they couldn't tell since you ordered them not to. What's going on?" Matsumae's voice was clearly audible even though the phone wasn't on speaker. Well, even if it wasn't Yuuma being a ghoul, her voice could still be heard clearly.

"That's a lot of questions, Miss Matsumae. I didn't know you missed me that much. Maybe next time I'll leave a love note, handwritten by yours truly at your door," teased Shuu over the phone.

"What? What do you—just come home already and—" Matsumae unknowingly yelled at the phone.

"Woah, Miss Matsumae. You don't just miss me, but you want me now? I knew you were straightforward, but you not only shoot your shots but you are landing them! Ha ha, am I safe?" Shuu laughed. Yuuma heard this and suppressed his laugh with a gentleman's cough.

"... You. Return early, Aliza has prepared your meal," Matsumae said as she hung up her phone.