You Say Run

Spider-Man Narrating/Breaking the 4th Wall

Text/Writing
------------------------------------------------------------------

It was quiet. Too quiet.

Of course, quiet was a relative term for Matt. The fast heartbeats of his allies hammered against his ears and he was constantly tuning out a thousand different conversations. But it was still quieter than it had been before.

There weren't as many footsteps homing in on their location, he couldn't pick any stray orders and the smell of gunpowder, blood and sweat was slowly fading behind them.

"I'm not picking up any more guards," he told the other vigilantes. "Be ready for anything."

He didn't need a verbal response to know that they understood. He heard Kazuho swallow nervously, Himiko's heart pace slightly and Koichi's hood flap as he shook off his nerves.

How long have they been fighting? Twenty minutes? Thirty minutes? He wasn't sure. What he was sure of was that the night was far from over.

He kicked open the door leading to a staircase. Fisk's office was practically on the top floor. The secret elevator didn't take them nearly high enough which made sense. Fisk didn't want any current or former employees to have an easy time sneaking up on him.

'There you are.' He thought, stopping at the threshold and blocking the path to the others.

"Hey. What's the hold-up?" Koichi questioned.

"There are guards on the stairs," Matt explained, "They plan on gunning us down while our mobility is most limited. Unfortunately for them, we don't plan on using the stairs."

Daredevil ran in. Two guards were waiting on top of the first flight. Their guns were trained directly at the door. Matt threw a billy club at them before either one could pull the trigger. The stick hit the first one's head hard enough to dent his helmet. The guards began firing their guns as the weapon bounced against the railing and hit the other guard. They were both knocked back, the bullets of their automatic guns littered the walls and the bottom of the next floor.

The weapon ricocheted back into Daredevil's hand right as he climbed over the metal railing. Raising the arm that held the over club, he pressed one of the hidden buttons. The tip was shot out, a wire keeping it connected to the weapon as it passed multiple floors in a matter of seconds. The wind rushed in Matt's ears as he felt the familiar feeling of gravity dragging him to his supposed death. But Murdocks didn't fear death.

They toyed with it.

Up above, hooks extended from the metal tip as it flew. It began to arc at the perfect moment. It flew over the railing on the platform between floors and hit its side. With no more momentum to carry it, Matt's descent began to drag it down. As it rose to go over the railing, it got stuck between the bars.

Matt felt it happen before the line became taught. He hit another button, activating the motors within. In just a moment, the forces pulling him inverted and gravity was forced to let go. Up and up he flew, covering floors faster than that grappling hook had.

Some of the guards stationed on the different floors tried to shoot him down as he went up but none of the bullets even grazed him.

Once Matt reached the top, he grabbed the railing and flipped over it like the master acrobat that he was. At the same time, he pulled his club in such a way that the grappling hook came loose and easily re-inserted itself. Daredevil effortlessly landed on his two feet being sure to throw his weapon to knock out the two guards on the staircase behind him as he marched to the door.