thirty one

Chapter 31 - chemtrails over the country club

The sun is shining brightly over Auradon Prep, casting a warm glow over the neatly trimmed lawns and flower beds. Students are scattered in groups, enjoying their free time between classes. In a corner of the courtyard, near a large oak tree, Phina Pan and Malina Dunbroch, sit on a bench, their textbooks open but largely ignored. The sun filters through the leaves, casting dappled shadows over the courtyard as they chat animatedly.

"So, you're telling me you can hit a bullseye from 200 feet away? That's impressive!"

Malina grins and nods enthusiastically "Aye, well, when you grow up with Merida as your mum, you pick up a thing or two about archery. How about you? Any cool talents?"

Phina shrugs "my father was pretty selective about what he told me. i've only recently learned that he could fly. I think i could with some pixie dust" she taps her chin "though i am good with impressions which i think is something i picked up from my father"

"it'd be pretty cool to fly" Malina sighs wistfully "imagine all of the things you could do"

"i know right" Phina sinks back into the bench.

A moment or two of silence passed where the girls turn their attention to the books in their laps until Malina asks what Phina had been wondering for a while now

"what do you think it is that Jack is up to?"

Phina frowns "No idea. But it can't be good. His mom is the Queen of Hearts, after all. Apparently she's ruthless. He's bound to have some of her...trickery"

Malina leans closer to Phina and lowers her voice "Everyone was surprised when he accepted the invitation to join Auradon prep. His Mom hates this school because of something that happened to her when she was a student"

Phina hums "i wouldn't be surprised if he's doing his mothers dirty work"

Making looks thoughtful for a moment "You think they're planning something? Maybe a prank?"

Phina shakes her head "It feels bigger than a prank. More like...a scheme" She hesitates "I've told my friends, Mal said she'd talk to Ben but without knowing what he's planning there's not much anyone can do"

Malina leans back, chewing her lip thoughtfully. The wind rustles the leaves above them, and for a moment, they both fall silent, lost in their own thoughts.

Malina lays a hand over Phinas and looks at her with determination. "We'll figure it out, Phina. Whatever he's planning, we'll be ready"

——-

Later that afternoon Phina finds herself in the tranquil, light-filled ballet studio. Sunlight streams through the large windows, casting a warm glow on the polished wooden floor and soft strains of classical music fill the air.