thirty nine

Chapter 39 ~ Ptolemaea

Phina stands at the edge of the lake staring out at the shimmering water as the last rays of the sun dip below the horizon. The sky is a canvas of oranges and pinks, slowly giving way to the purples and deep blues of twilight. The cool breeze off the lake brushes against her skin, and she pulls her jacket tighter around herself, a small smile playing at her lips.

Harry had promised to meet her here after class, and though he was running a little late, she didn't mind. She enjoyed these quiet moments by the water, especially knowing he would be there soon. The thought of his familiar, comforting presence made her heart swell with affection.

She is lost in her thoughts when she feels arms wrap around her from behind, pulling her into a warm embrace. The suddenness of it startles her, but his warmth is a comfort.

"Harry," she breathes, leaning back into him, her body relaxing into the embrace. She closes her eyes, letting the familiar comfort wash over her. "I was starting to wonder if you'd forgotten about me."

There is a low chuckle near her ear, but something about it makes her frown. It is familiar, but not in the way she had expected. The arms around her tightened slightly, and she feels a cold shiver run down her spine.

Phina's eyes snap open, and she stiffens, trying to pull away. "Harry?" she asks, her voice wavering with uncertainty.

The chuckle comes again, closer this time, and Phina's heart drops as she realises her mistake. The voice that replied is not Harry's at all.

"Guess again, sweetheart."

Her breath catches in her throat, and she spins around, her eyes widening in shock as she comes face-to-face with Jack. His dark eyes gleaming with a twisted amusement, his smirk widens as he watches the realization dawn on her.

"Jack!" Phina gasps, trying to pull away from him, but his grip is firm, holding her in place. "What are you doing? Let me go!"

Jack's smile doesn't falter, but there is a dangerous glint in his eyes. "Now, now, Phina. I told you i'm not someone you can brush off easily didn't i?"

She pushes against his chest, her pulse racing with fear and anger. "Where's Harry? What have you done?"

Jack's expression darkens, and he pulls her closer, his voice dropping to a low, menacing tone. "Harry's not here, princess. It's just you and me. And we're going for a little trip."

Phina's heart pounds in her chest as she struggles against him, but Jack is stronger, his grip like iron. Before she can cry out, he pulls a cloth from his pocket and presses it over her mouth and nose. The sharp, pungent scent fills her senses, and she feels her vision blur, the world spinning around her as darkness began to close in.

"Don't worry," Jack whispered, his voice the last thing she hears before everything goes black. "You'll be seeing Harry soon enough."

---