forty two

chapter 42 ~ let me love the lonely

Harry and Phina are half way through doing the breakfast dishes, Harry washing and Phina drying, when the door to Captain Hook's small, weathered home creaked open, the morning light streaming in and momentarily blinding everyone inside.

Phina squints, turning to see who had entered, while Harry tenses beside her. The silhouette of a figure fills the doorway—a tall, lean girl with a confident stride, her long black coat billowing slightly behind her as she steps inside.

"Harriet?" James Hook's voice holds a mix of surprise and familiarity as he rises from his seat by the fire.

"Hello, Father," Harriet replies, her voice cool and measured. Her sharp blue eyes quickly scan the room, taking in the scene—her father standing from his seat and her brother standing at the sink beside a girl she'd never seen before.

Phina feels a shiver of nerves as Harriet's gaze lands on her, sharp and assessing. There is no mistaking the family resemblance between Harriet and Harry—the same intense eyes, the same proud posture—but where Harry's presence is comforting to Phina, Harriet's is intimidating.

Harry looks at his sister, a mixture of surprise and unease crossing his face. "Harriet. What are you doing here?"

Harriet's eyes flick to him, a small, knowing smile playing at the corners of her lips. "I might ask you the same thing, brother. Not at your fancy school?" Her gaze shifts back to Phina, and there is a spark of curiosity in her eyes. "And who might this be?"

Phina swallows, feeling the weight of Harriet's scrutiny. She opens her mouth to introduce herself, but Harry beats her to it.

"This is Phina," he says, his voice steady as he moves closer to her. "Phina, this is my sister, Harriet."

Phina offers a tentative smile, walking over to greet Harriet properly "It's nice to meet you, Harriet."

Harriet studies her for a moment, her expression unreadable. Then, she gives a small nod, her smile widening slightly. "So, this is the girl I've heard so much about in your letters, Philomena Pan."

Phina glances nervously towards James, who she was under the impression, did not know what her last name was, or rather who her father is.

He merely inclines his head, as if to say he already knows and the corner of his mouth tugs into a smile. She cannot explain why she feels such a sudden relief that he is not phased by who her father is, but she is glad.

Phina blinks, taken aback and turns her gaze back to Harriet. "You've heard about me?"

"Of course," Harriet replies, her tone teasing as she glances at Harry. "Harry's not exactly the secretive type when it comes to people he cares about."

Harry rolls his eyes, but there is a hint of a smile on his lips. "She's exaggerating. A little."

Phina can't help but smile back at Harry, feeling some of her earlier tension ease. Harriet's words, though slightly teasing, carry a warmth that surprises her.