forty four

(ᴛʜɪs ᴘʜᴏᴛᴏ ɪs ɪɴsᴀɴᴇ ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴘʟs ʀᴀɪʟ ᴍᴇ xxx)

Chapter 44 ~ reunion

When they arrive back at Auradon they are greeted with relived hugs.

"Where have you two been?" Evie asks, her voice borderline hysterical with concern. "We've been worried sick!"

"Yeah, you can't just disappear like that," Carlos adds, crossing his arms. "We thought something had happened."

Phina smiles apologetically, realizing how much they had worried their friends. "Sorry for worrying you all" She grimaces "it's a long story"

Harry nods in agreement.

So they sit on the grass under a willow tree as Phina launches into a long recounting of her past few days, Harry doesn't let go of her hand.

She leaves out the part about meeting Harry's father and sister and staying at his childhood home. Because that's special, just for Harry and herself to know about.

Harry shares his side of the story and by the end their frineds look at them with silent horror and Jack, prince of hearts is entirely less popular than he already was.

It comes as a great relief to all when a few days later Jack gets expelled and shipped off back to wonderland. She wonders how his already disappointed Mother will feel about that, but she doesn't dwell on it too long. You can't feel bad for him, she tells herself, he showed you no mercy so why should you show it to him.

She had watched him leave with a black eye and a bloody nose that had coincidentally appeared after Harry had disappeared for a few hours. She had questioned Harry about it of course but he had just shrugged and said he'd deserved it.

She'd helped him clean his bloody knuckles, trying to hide an affectionate smile as she focused on the task at hand, while Harry watched her intently.

The way in which she no longer has to live with the paranoia of an unknown threat is hard to adjust to, but she reminds herself that she has lived the worst of it and survived and directs her thoughts to lighter topics or distracts herself by taking walks around the campus.

The anticipation in the air for the upcoming family day is palpable. Decorations were being put up in the courtyards, and banners flutter in the breeze, welcoming family members from every corner of the kingdom.

Phina walks beside Harry, her eyes glancing around at the festivities being set up. She can't help but feel a knot of nervousness in her stomach, thinking about tomorrow. Family Day would undoubtably be strange for her—part excitement for everyone else, part anxiety because of the strained relationship she had with her parents. She wasn't sure if they'd show up. She's not even sure if she'd rather they didn't.