Chapter 44

I'm wearing one of their lab coats, my hair gathered into a tight knob on my head with a few worn-out rubber bands on the verge of breaking. It was his idea for me to wear the lab coat, as a disguise, but I don't understand how it'll help to hide my identity as I'm nothing special but a short girl. And I'm aware of the lack of short female scientists working in this facility.

He doesn't elaborate more on our plan, no matter how I'd asked him, he'd found a way to distract me from my main objective. He loves calculated surprises while I do not handle unexpected events well, we are the exact opposite.

We are traveling out of the suffocating labyrinth of a laboratory. He leads the way, all the mappings of the hallways are inked in his head, as if he built the entire structure. The dumb box was still in his hand, traveling beside him like a briefcase of a businessman on an average day of work, except the things stored in the box are bioweapons that can kill within a second of contact.

We have only one target, which are the workers— protectors of the facility, to deal with and they're far more sufficiently equipped than the both of us combined according to him. Even though one of us has bioweapons and the other wields inhuman abilities, he still claims that they have the advantage of a battle.

We ran into a figure in the hallway. A figure so subtle and silent I wouldn't have believed to exist if a grunt hadn't come out of that figure's mouth while bumping into us.

Soldiers.

The man, no, the men are all in black garments and thick vests, their clothing covering every part of their skin, leaving none exposed. Rifles hung and strapped against their chest and weapon belts tightly clutched against their waist. Their rifles raised, and their heads stuck close to the mouth of their firearms. Their movements are slow and calm, sentiently progressing through the hallway till we appeared.

They're hunting.

Their rifles flicked towards Ayven who stood before me, shielding me from their sight but they seemed to have spotted me beforehand. They ignored who their guns were pointed at, and pinned their gazes on me.

They'd found the prey.

"Evening, lady and gentlemen."

It was a voice that lighted up the withered, rotted, and abandoned memories left in the graveyard of my soul.

A man stepped into sight, strolling between the row of soldiers. He wears no bulletproof vests, wielding no weapon, expressing no fear nor anxiousness.

He rolls up the casual gray sleeves on his lower arms, the rich black shoes clicking on the ground for every step he takes to approach Ayven and me.

My gaze switched to Ayven. He doesn't move, his breathing is calm as always, but i'm curious what expression is written on his face.

I began flexing my fingers under the dimly lit hallway, finding my way to my subjects, calling them upon to be prepared for a battle against the endless row of soldiers.

The concrete answers to me, I feel a connection to my surroundings and ready to pull up a protective ward around us if anything happens. I could kill them all within a snap of my fingers but I'm terrible and inexperienced with wielding my powers, which made it possible to have Ayven killed alongside my main targets. Besides, I find I'm better acquainted with controlling concrete materials than anything else.

The man approaching us looks every bit the average drunken lad on the streets, but I'd seen this face before to know it's not the slightest bit drunk.

Father.

"I haven't seen my daughter's face in a long time," my father's gaze was on Ayven's instead of me who hid behind him, "where are you taking her to, Hades?"