Chapter Thirty- Five

Chapter Thirty-Five

Xander

The crowd is slowly dying down. Most people left after the ceremony, but there's some that have stayed to chat or sob quietly.

I managed to slip by everyone, grab a bottle, and came to hide. I haven't been over here in years. Once I was old enough to start training I wasn't allowed to play outside and enjoy my childhood. This one tree- I glance up at the leaves, the sun peaking through the cracks, was my hide away when things were too much for me as a child.

This morning, probably around six, the first person came to my door and needed my opinion about the markets in the village. Then it didn't stop. The next girl found me shortly after, needed an answer for a family in the kingdom dealing with poverty.

Then I entered my father's study...

Stacks on stacks of paperwork. Some were ready to be mailed out but most needed a written answer still.

Then, I had to set up the funeral. I kept it small, only people who knew my father personally were allowed to attend. I hadn't expected so many people to still show up though.

I drop down to sit in the dirt against the tree.

I used to climb this tree when I was a child. Got in trouble multiple times for it. The day I fell and broke my arm I thought mom was going to kill me. She rushed me to see Alek, and I got an ear full. Ended up being grounded for two weeks.

Cracking the seal on the bottle, I pop the top and take a swing.

This isn't my thing. I don't hide away to drink, or have ever used alcohol to cope before.

I'm sure my father is shaking his head in disapproval. My first day as king and I hide away from everyone to drink my feelings away.

I take another swing from the bottle. The bourbon burning all the way down.

This kingdom is mine. All of it.

Any words that come out of my mouth from here on out will be taken seriously. If I tell everyone they need to jump, they will jump.

It's a powerful power to have.

I have to get new guards to guard the castle, guards to protect my queen...

I haven't seen her much today and it's killing me. She's the only person I want to be around and I've seen every other person since I've woken up.

Sage helped out with whatever she could. She helped set up chairs, helped guide people to where they have to go. Helped hand out refreshments.

Her cheeks were pink all day but she never once hid from anyone.

Many people bowed to her and she always responded with a warm welcoming and a smile.

Ella made her a gorgeous dress for today. I have to give her a bonus, she stayed up all night to get it finished for this morning.

I can't see the field from where I am under the tree. Which means no one can see or find me.

"Do you want to fly for a bit?" Octavia speaks up softly. "You've had a stressful day."