Four

It is in the middle of a math quiz when Alex decides to have a so important chat with Rian who is sitting beside him. The questions aren't hard, but the numbers are a bit confusing. One little miscalculation and it can ruin the whole answer, and silence is all I need. Silence would be nice.

"So, Rian. I got some ideas for our new song. Figured some lines out last night. Dunno the melody yet, though. My house after school?"

"Cool! You should tell Zack to see if he can make it. And Jack, of course. Have you told him?"

"Nah, not yet. But I don't think he has his shift today. He'll manage."

"Great, can't wait to hear it."

"Just some random thoughts, I'll leave the rest to you guys."

"By the way, about that party? Zack's party? Are we still up for it?"

"Zack's friend? Yeah, Zack said-"

I turn around before he can even finish his sentence and give him a look. Alex and his friend, Rian, immediately stop talking and glare at me in reply

"What?" Alex says as if nothing's wrong

"We're having a quiz!" I whisper

"So?"

"Keep your mouth shut for a while, will you?"

"Done mine already." He raises his paper

"That doesn't mean you can go ahead and - Hell, did you even read the questions?" I ask as I see his answers

"Cheating is bad, new girl." He winks

"I'm not cheating! I was just asking you to shut up!" I deny. God, he's so annoying!

"By the way, ever heard of makeup? Foundation, concealer, lipstick whatever you girls call it. Might do good for you, you're pale as fuck." He adds while laughing casually

That's it. I can't take it anymore.

"You know what? Fuck you and your stupid little band! You think you're on top of the world just because you-"

"Is anything wrong, Mr Gaskarth, Miss Olson?" Mrs Lindsey calls

"I- It's Alex! I was just asking him to quite down!" I say in defend

Alex rolls his eyes and falls back to his seat, "Yeah right, it's always been me."

"Whatever it is, I do not tolerate any kind of communication during tests. I assume that you've finished your quiz." She takes mine and Alex's paper

"But I still haven't filled-"

"Next time, try keeping your mouth shut. And don't get into other people's business." Alex snorts

I curse under my breath and ignore him. He's really getting on my nerve, he always finds a way to annoy me.  I rest my head on the table, trying to calm myself at least until the last period ends. And when the bell finally rings, I am the first one to get out. I run straight to the bathroom and lock myself in one of the stalls.

My cheeks start to wet. I'm crying because of freaking Alex Gaskarth. Goddamit, I feel so weak! At first only a few tears come out, but then it turns into a sob. I feel sorry for whoever's gonna marry him cause she'd be marrying a jerk. I rarely cry, not even when I broke my arm when I was 10. The thought of that only makes me even worse. What's happened to me?

"Gail? It's me."

It's Jas. I quickly wipe the tears off my face and steady my breathing. I don't wanna be seen crying, not even in front of Jas. I take a deep breath before unlocking the door, Jas is waiting for me outside with a confused look.