Twenty Nine

You know it's Christmas season when Starbucks starts selling their special seasonal drinks. Being a basic girl that I am, I can't help it and get one.

"Ms.. Abigail? Peppermint frappucino?" The bartender calls out my order

"Yep, it's mine! Thanks!" I take the cup and check the name written on the cup.

Abygail. Close enough, Starbucks.

I sip my drink and sit by the window. I've always loved christmas, I just love the atmosphere of it, the decorations, the smell, basically everything about christmas. I'm at the mall at the moment, after a round of christmas shopping. It's crowded with late christmas shoppers like me. I don't have that many people on my list so it only took me 2 hours to check everything off the list, I hail a cab and head home after that.

I really mean it when I say that I love christmas decorations. The whole house has been transformed into a winter wonderland. No matter how old I am, I always get excited when it comes to decorating. I'm really happy that this year we got to have a real tree in our living room. I've put on our family's christmas ornaments, hanging some lights around it and tiny snowflakes so it looks realistic and more festive. God, I just love christmas so much.

The Gaskarth's and Robin are coming to our house for christmas eve and I can't wait to have them with us. Usually it's just me and my mom, we used to invite my mom's coworkers who didn't get the chance to go home to their family too. The more people we have, the merrier.

I go to my room and begin wrapping the gifts which doesn't take too long since there aren't that many to wrap. After I'm finished, I sit in front of my almost finished painting. I pick up a brush and dip it into the acrylic, smearing paint over the canvas.

When I paint, I feel like I'm in my own world. It's just me and the canvas. My body just knows what to do, my heart just knows what to pour out. I open my eyes and take a look at what I've just done. Satisfied with my work, I put the brush down and admire it. Sage has been asking me if I have more works to be sent to the gallery, and I've been working on her demands. The money I get from selling paintings is more than I have ever gained from working at a coffee shop back in Oakland. I can use the money to save up for travelling, I hope.

As I look out the window, there's ice forming everywhere in this cold weather. I've never been a fan of the cold. My skin gets paler than ever, as if it's not pale enough even in the summer. I think about where I could possibly be by this time next year. Somewhere warm, preferably. But not here.

------------

"Merry Christmas!"

I hear our guests arriving downstairs. My mom and I, we started out late preparing the house earlier. We fortunately managed to finish it in time, but I'm still in my room now, I haven't finished getting ready.

I quickly put on some lipstick, fixing my hair and pinning it to the side. I've just put on my dress when I hear a knock on the door, Alex's head peaks in.

"Hey." He greets me with a smile

I turn around, "Hey there."

"You make that dress look good." Alex hugs me from behind, zipping the back of the dress

"That's odd. People usually say 'You look good in that dress.'" I say

"It's about you, not the dress." He whispers

I laugh, "Thank you. You cleaned up nicely yourself."

"Only for special occasions." He smirks

"Merry christmas, Alex."