Sixteen

"I'm never gonna understand this!"

"Calm down! Let me check it first." I take his paper, "See? One tiny mistake could screw up the whole answer. What's the square root of 729?"

We're at Starbucks once again, after our first lesson 3 days ago. Mrs. Lindsey was thrilled to know that I had been giving Alex tutor, she'd put her faith in me to help Alex pass the test next week. Truth be told, he's going to need a lot of work if he wants to pass.

"Screw this. I'm so done with math." He sighs

"I've spent my precious time tutoring you and it's not going to come down to nothing. Try number 7." I say

He shakes his head, "Well maybe math is not my thing. Why should I learn this anyway."

"Your thing or not, you still have to pass. Come on, try number 7. Be more careful this time." I say patiently

He scratches the back of his head, "Can we rest for a bit? I swear to God my brain is on fire."

"10 mins break. We're not leaving until you get 5 questions right." I approve

Alex stretches, "Like we're ever gonna use this in real life."

I laugh lightly and ignore him. I lean back and open my book again to continue reading. From out the corner of my eyes, I can see Alex watching me.

"What?" I ask

"So you're just gonna read and ignore me like I'm invisible?"

"It's break time. I can do whatever I want."

He snatches my book from my hands, "You're such a dork."

"Hey!" I groan

"So apparently, I'm not as interesting as this.." Alex reads the cover, "The Egyptian Myths, A Guide to Ancient Gods and Legends. Oh wow I'm even bored just reading the cover."

"Yes. Because apparently this book doesn't have a big mouth like you do." I say

"What's up with you and Barakat?" He says out of nowhere

I freeze, this is the last thing I want to talk about with anyone. Let alone with Alex.

"Nothing." I answer shortly

"Did the date go wrong?"

"It's none of your business." I start to get annoyed. I snatch the book back from his hand and continue reading. I can still feel his eyes on me.

I give in and close my book,"I think you've known the answer. Since you suddenly called in the middle of..." I hesitate to find the right word

"The date?" He suggests

"Whatever it was, it's still none of your business." I say sharply

"Come on, I'm just trying to make a casual conversation here. It's no fun! So we're only talking if math's involved in it?" He asks

"It's not a casual conversation!" I snap

"Well, we can always make it casual."

Casual? Let's see how irritated he can get..

"So, what was it about when you called Jack that night?" I ask

Alex, who's drinking his coffee, almost chokes.

"It's none of your business! You said casual conversation!" He groans angrily

"So you can ask me personal questions like that but I can't? You're pathetic." I roll my eyes

"I don't care. I need to go to the bathroom." He gets up from his seat, leaving me alone. I don't care if he's not coming back.

But he does anyway, a few minutes later.

"Break time is over. Back to work." I say, ignoring the fact that we just had a little argument back then

We study in silence, only talking when necessary. Alex can't keep his forehead from scrunching and he keeps grunting from time to time. I don't care, I want this to be over as much as he does.

We finally decide to call it a day an hour later. He managed to answer 2 out of 5 questions. At least it's better than nothing.

I gather my things and give my mom a call to pick me up. I can't wait to get out of this. We're still not talking, which I don't mind.

Alex slings his bag over his shoulder, ready to leave, "I had an anxiety attack."

I look up from my book, not saying a thing.

"I had an anxiety attack, when I called Jack the night you were with him."

"Oh."

Oh? What the hell am I supposed to say?

"Well, thanks for the tutor." He forces a smile. And just like that, he walks towards the exit.

"Alex?"

He turns around, "Yeah?"

"Your welcome."

*********

Sorry for the short chapter! :( I promise an update in 1-2 weeks.

As always, enjoy loves!❤️