Thirty

31st of December, the last day of the year. I can't believe how fast time flies, as if only yesterday I'd moved here. My room was still empty, and now it's full of my drawings on the wall. As if it was only yesterday my annoying neighbour brought us pie, and that annoying neighbor is now my boyfriend. Funny how things can change in such a short time.

Everyone's talking about the party Rennie Brunner is throwing tonight, we are all going. The theme is the 20's. Everyone's fussing about what they're gonna wear. The girls are dressing as flapper girls, we'd gone shopping the other day. My costume is hanging in my closet. A black frayed dress and I also found a feather boa to wrap around my shoulder. I'm pairing those with some black tights and heels. I curled my hair last night and slept with it so my hair is now loosely curled.

I look at Alex who's just lying on my bed, chilling. We've spent the day just lazing around before we have to get to the party. He's strumming my guitar while I sit on the stool, finishing my painting.

"I wrote a song about you." He says, all of a sudden

"Really?"

He nods, "Yeah. Why wouldn't I?"

"I wanna hear it." I sit on the bed beside him

"It's supposed to be a surprise for our gig next week." He says

I frown, "Then why'd you tell it now if you weren't gonna let me hear it?"

"I was just informing you. Besides, you're gonna hear it too in the end. Just not today." Alex smirks

"That's not fair! If that song's about me, then I have to at least get a special privilege and hear it first!" I pout

He laughs, "Alright, alright. I'll play the guitar, but I won't sing the lyrics."

"But the lyrics are the ones I want to hear! Come on, Alex. Pleasee!" I tug on his shirt

"Just the guitar or I don't play at all." He bargains

I sigh, "Alright, go on."

He picks up my guitar and begins strumming. I've always loved watching him play. He gets so drown into his music everytime, I wonder if I'm like that when I paint. His fingers slide smoothly from frets to frets, and when we hold hands, I can feel the callouses on his fingertips that were formed from years and years of playing. It's one of the little things I love about him.

"The remains of our wasted youth, this wasted time on you, has left me shaking and waiting for something more." He sings the last bit of the song. "Oh shit! It just slipped!"

I start clapping, "That sounded really good! And thank you for slipping the last bit of the song. And even though it was only the guitar, I love it already."

He smiles, "Thanks."

I check the time on my phone, "Hey, we should probably get going."

He agrees and we both put on out costume. Alex looks really good, he's wearing a white dress shirt, black cotton pants, a suspender and a bow tie to complete it all. I help him comb his hair back so it looks sleek. I put on my makeup and fix my hair. I wear the pearl necklace I'd borrowed from my mom and I check the reflection in the mirror.

Alex stands beside me, "Damn, don't we look good."

"Let's end the year correctly, Gaskarth." I give Alex a peck on his cheek. It leaves a mark, since my red lipstick I've just put on hasn't dried off completely

"On y va?" He chuckles

"On y va!"

-----

Rennie's house is packed. I hold hands with Alex all the time, saying hi to people as we go. Everyone's in costume, everyone's all out for this party with their costume. They don't play around when it comes to parties like this, I overheard someone talking in the hallway a couple of weeks ago saying that she'd ordered a $400 dress special just for this party. Well, this has got to be the party of the year.