Forty Six

"That looks like something my nana would wear."

It's our last day at the Hamptons. Alex and I are at that antique store I saw the other day when I went grocery shopping. Now that it's our last day, I can't leave here without visiting this antique store. Let me tell you, it is heavenly. And the sweater that Alex's just commented on, is a vintage turtle neck sweater that is disgustingly to die for, but apparently Alex is yet find the beauty of this masterpiece I'm holding.

"Well, I'm getting it anyways." I stick my tongue out at Alex

Alex frowns, "Oh, come on."

There's something about antique shops that I've always adored. To know that each item holds a story of their own, it's a fascination of mine how historically valuable an item can be. Elena's Antique is definitely one of the best one I've ever been in. The walls are covered with postcards that dated around the 50s and pictures of scenery of the world with a beautiful young lady in some of it.

I browse through the jewelry section and literally, they display some of the most beautiful jewelries I have ever seen in my life. I pick up a gorgeous necklace with an emerald stone pendant. It's simple, but very classy at the same time. I check the price tag, thank God it's still within my price range.

"Do you need assistance, young lady?"

I look up to see an elderly woman smiling at me, who must be the shopkeeper. And the woman in the photos. Despite the silver hair and the wrinkles on her skin, she ages with grace and her positive energy just radiates from within.

I smile back at her, "I'm good, thank you. Well actually, I'm restraining myself from getting them all. They are all very beautiful."

"Ah, the emerald necklace. You have exquisite taste. I got that when I was travelling across Europe when I was 21. I met this man on my way to Bergamo and we spent 5 days together in Verona. He got me this necklace on our last day. We knew what we had was only summer romance, and this necklace has served as a reminder of my youth and of Lucas. I kept holding on to it, for 55 years long. It was only yesterday that I decided to put it on sale." She reminisces as she glances at one of the postcards on the wall that says Bergamo.

"Oh, that's such a wonderful story. Are you sure it's fine if I get this? I understand this piece must hold great sentimental value for you." I ask

She shakes her head and holds my hand, "It does. But I can't keep it forever. To be able to pass on the things I value to someone and to share my story, it's the the right thing to do. Do me a favour and take good care of this necklace for me, young lady."

I blush, "Thank you. It's such an honour, and I promise I will."

"Do let me know if you need anything. I'll be at the front." Elena kindly smiles at me

I head to Alex who's currently admiring a vinyl record player, "Give me one reason why I shouldn't get this beauty right here?" He asks me

"Because you don't have any vinyls?..." I ask

"Yet. Wait maybe my dad does have some. But then again, once I take this baby home with me I'm gonna devote my time to collect the best vinyls one will ever see."

"Well, take your time. I'm gonna try these out first, can you hold my purse?" I ask

He holds my purse while I try the turtleneck sweater and the skirt I picked out earlier. The skirt is a little bit too short to my liking, but as the turtleneck is a perfect fit. I know I must have dozens of turtleneck sweaters at home but what can I say, I just love them.