Thirty Six

Snow starts falling outside, we decide to just stay in the house and go exploring tomorrow, hopefully the snow will have stopped. Harry lights the fireplace and Margo brings us hot chocolate and warm blankets. I sit by the window, watching as the pavement gets coated by the snow, with a novel in my hand that I've been reading for a week. Alex and Harry are still sitting in the living room. Turns out that Harry has been trying to teach himself guitar for a couple of months and Alex is helping him out a little bit. Margo is downstairs doing laundry.

I don't know why but this all feels really calming. Being in NYC, with Alex, Harry and his girlfriend. I feel like almost everything is back in place. We've also called mom earlier to tell her that we've made it here. She was really happy to hear from us, saying that she'd come over some time.

"Gail? Earth to Gail?" Harry waves in front of me

"Oh, sorry." I blink back to life

"She does that a lot. She gets lost in her thoughts easily." Alex says

"Yeah, a lot in my mind." I close my novel

"I was just asking if you're hungry? I'm gonna start preparing dinner soon." Harry says

I nod, "Yes, I mean, if you are. It's completely up to you."

"Great! Can you help me for a bit in the kitchen? Remember how we used to help mom cook? I hope you're still a better cook than I am." Harry winks

I laugh, "How we used to help mom cook? Harry, you only helped mom clean the spoon and mixing bowl by licking them clean after, that doesn't count as helping."

"Don't worry, Harry. Gail is a really good cook. I'm gonna go hit the shower for a bit, if that's alright? You know I won't be of much help in the kitchen." He cringes, perhaps he's remembering the time when he almost set my kitchen on fire trying to make an omelette. I'm never letting him near the stove ever again.

"Yeah sure, we'll let you know when it's ready." I answer

I follow Harry to the kitchen, we're making mashed potatoes, salad and steak for dinner. I help him cut out the vegetables while he starts pounding the meat.

"I like Alex, he has my approval." Harry speaks up

I shrug, "Well.. Believe it or not, just a few months ago we used to hate each other's guts."

"Don't hate someone too much. There's only a thin line separating between hate and love."

"Yeah, been there done that." I laugh lightly

"Gail? Do you believe in me?" Harry asks all of a sudden

I stop to cutting and turn to him, "Of course I believe in you. Why?"

"I.. I'm about to do something really big." He says

"What is it?"

He scratches the back of his head nervously, "You're the first person I'm telling.." He pauses to look around, making sure that it's only us in the room, and then he carefully fishes something out of his pocket. A small red velvet box. And inside of it is a beautiful diamond ring.

"Oh my God, Harry!" I squeal. Harry does know how to choose a ring.

"I'm doing it tomorrow, at the Central Park. It's Margo's favourite place in New York. I'm really scared of what will happen." He says

"Harry, I believe in you. I know you can do this. Whatever happens, you know that I always got your back." I give him a hug

"I just needed to know that someone actually believes in me." He pats my back, "Thanks, sis."

We hear the front door open and Margo comes in with basket full of clean laundry. "Aww, look at you two siblings being all cute!"

We let go from our hug and we all laugh. Good thing Harry was quick enough to hide the box so Margo didn't see it. We continue preparing dinner, occasionally making small talks while doing so. When it's finished, the 4 of us sit together in the dining room and we start serving the food. Margo brings out a bottle of wine for us to drink, how fancy.

"So I'm thinking that we should go to the Central Park tomorrow? And we can show you around the city too. If only you two could stay here longer, we'd take you to more places here." Harry says

I nod, "Yeah, that sounds great. I wish so too but unfortunately we have school on Monday. We'll come visit another time though, we promise."

No one seems to be complaining about the plan, we continue to eat dinner while occasionally exchanging small talks. Margo tries teaching us a little bit of Italian and we all laugh at Alex's attempt and accent. Me and Harry start conversing in French just for fun. We haven't spoken in French in so long, we used to speak it all the time with mom. I still do, but not as often as we used to. She's always wanted her children to be bilingual, and not to forget her roots and culture.

"You guys, you better not be talking about me in that croissant language, alright." Alex laughs

After we're done eating, me and Harry volunteer to do the dishes since Margo has done a lot of work today too. Alex offers to help but I tell him not to worry, just after that, as if on cue, he receives a phone call from his producer and he excuses himself to answer it and go to his room. Harry kisses Margo goodnight and says that he'll be joining her as soon as he's finished.

It leaves only me and Harry to clean up in the kitchen. Harry loads the dishes in the washer and I wipe the table.

"So.. Things are good with mom back home,right?" Harry asks

I nod, "Yeah. You've talked to mom, haven't you?"

"Yes, she seems happy. She told me about Robin too. Is he nice?"

"Very. He's been around for a while, he makes mom happy, that's what matters the most." I answer, "And you? How's things with dad?"

"Well.. Gail, I haven't been completely honest with you." He sighs

"What is it? Is it about dad?" I ask

"I never brought up this topic with you just because, well, I don't want to worry you or anything, but dad.. hasn't been exactly in good shape for a few years." Harry confesses

"Is he okay? What's wrong?"

"I haven't been in contact with him in years. Ever since I was 17, he's been having gambling and drinking problems. That's when we stopped keeping in contact with you and mom. When I turned 18 after I finally got to move on my own, I decided to move back to New York while he stayed in Florida. I considered coming to you and mom, but I didn't want to be a burden to you and mom. I decided to do what I thought was the best choice. To start fresh without my family. But everything felt empty." He says

"Oh Harry, I'm so sorry. You should've come to us. You know we're always here for you." I hug him

He continues, "I wish I could say that I don't blame dad for it, but I do blame him for everything. After all these years, he didn't even try to reach out to me even once. Probably too busy being a drunk and gambling all his money. But I couldn't help but check on him from time to time. Last time I checked a few months ago, I heard that he's in rehab at the moment."

"But why didn't you tell me? Or Mom?" I ask

"It didn't feel right lying to mom and you about my condition. If I'd told you about this, I knew you'd have given me help straight away, but as I said before, I didn't want to bother you. I thought it'd be better to stay away and start fresh."

Hearing that story, I haven't even realized that I've been crying. My brother is the most selfless person and the strongest person I've ever known, clearly my mom's child. After all these years, I'd thought that my brother was living a luxurious life without having to worry about anything, and how he'd forgotten about his mother and sister who lived in a small apartment in Oakland and whose mother had to work multiple shifts to fulfil her need.

"Harry.. I'm so sorry for everything. I love you and we will always be there for you. We're a family and family sticks together no matter what, alright? Promise me you'll come to us." I hug him tighter

"I promise. Je t'aime, ma soeur." He kisses the top of my head