05. Owned

"And yes, she is mine, and I am hers

"And yes, she is mine, and I am hers. The end of the story."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

K A R T I K

"Would you elaborate to let me know her age, Mr. Arora?" my dad asked in a sarcastic tone because I had just told him about my Lili.

"19 years, 1 months, and 24 days," I replied in the same tone, trying to keep my composure.

"And you want to marry her, a kid?" he said, raising his voice.

"Technically, she is eligible for marriage," I said, trying to stay calm.

"And technically, I’m eligible to slap you," he shot back, his voice laced with frustration. I looked at him, and we both stared at each other in silence for a long moment.

"I want to marry her, and if you can't talk to her dad, I will," I said, breaking the silence with firm resolve.

"Somani is not a common family. They have a very high status, with many political connections and what not," my dad replied, trying to make me see reason.

"And I'm one of the most successful businessman in this country," I responded, confident in my own worth.

"I don’t think Somani will agree with you," he said, raising an eyebrow.

"Why not?" I asked, feeling my patience thin.

"I know how much Somani loves his daughter, and I don't think he will agree to marry her off this soon. Besides, you live in the U.S., and I doubt he'd be comfortable with his daughter moving so far away," Dad explained, his tone softening as he tried to make me understand.

"You just have to go there and talk to them. If they still won’t agree, I’ll make them," I said, confident that I could convince them.

"We’ve received so many better marriage proposals for you. The girls are adults and beautiful," Dad said, trying to steer the conversation toward more traditional options. His words only fueled my anger, as I hated the idea of being with anyone who wasn’t her.

"Either her or no one," I said, determined and unyielding.

"But I don't think we should talk about this now when she's just 19," Dad said, his tone cautious. How can I make him understand that I've already waited so long?

"At least let us get engaged," I insisted, feeling the urgency in my voice.I want her to be mine officially.

Dad sighed, sensing the determination in my words. He knew I wasn't going to back down easily.