07. Los Angeles

"And the way her henna-filled hands look beautiful with my name,

-- hayeeeeee."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

K A R T I K

As I ended the call, my eyes drifted back to her. She was lying on the bed, completely wrapped up in the blanket, like she was trying to shield herself from the world—or maybe from me.

I could sense her fear, her nervousness, and it made me pause. She wasn’t ready for this, and I didn’t want to push her. But tomorrow, we were leaving. I needed her with me, to start our life together.

Seeing her like this, so vulnerable, stirred something deep inside me. I wanted to protect her, to show her that she had nothing to fear. But for now, I would give her space. I wouldn’t touch her without her permission.

"Sleep well," I whispered, not sure if she heard me. Tomorrow was a new day, and I hoped it would be the beginning of something better for us.

I woke up at 5 a.m., knowing that we needed to leave for the U.S. by 1 p.m. There was a lot to do before then, and I wanted everything to be perfect.

As I turned over, I saw Lili sleeping peacefully beside me. It still felt like a dream that she was my wife now, lying next to me in our bed.

I had imagined this moment for so long—her soft breaths, the way she looked so adorable in those pyjamas. But I hadn’t told her yet that we were leaving for the U.S. today.

Last night, she was exhausted, and I could sense how nervous she was around me. The last thing I wanted was to add to her anxiety, so I chose not to say anything then. I wanted to give her the space she needed, to let her adjust at her own pace.

But today, things would change. We were starting a new chapter together, and I hoped it would be everything she dreamed of.

I got up from the bed quietly, careful not to wake her, and headed straight for the shower. After getting dressed, I left the room without making a sound.

My first task was to pick up a few essentials for her—sanitary napkins, just in case. I didn’t know her exact dates, but I wanted to be prepared for any emergency. Everything had to be perfect.

Afterward, I headed to the office. I had some work to wrap up before we left. As I was going through some documents, Yuvraj walked in.

"Wow, sir, back at the office so soon after your wedding?" he teased.

"Mind your own business," I replied, rolling my eyes.

"So, how was the wedding night?" he asked with a mischievous grin. His question made me think of my shy Lili.

"Teri bhabhi ki sharam jye tho kuch karo na Mai"," I muttered under my breath, just loud enough for myself.

"What was that, sir?" he asked, not catching what I’d said.