13. Insanity

I closed my eyes and all I see is you

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

K A R T I K

"Yes, doctor, thank you," I said to doctor.

"Feel free to call me if there's any emergency," the doctor had reassured me before leaving.

I stood by the door, looking over at my Lili, who was resting in bed, her face flushed with fever. Cold, exhaustion, and what not—she was suffering, and I knew it was all my fault.

I shouldn’t have left her alone at the waterpark. I let her stay in the cold water for far too long. And to make things worse, I gave in and bought her two cups of ice cream. What was I thinking?

Watching her now, curled up and fragile, I felt a deep sense of guilt. I should have taken better care of her, and now she’s paying the price for my lack of judgment.

I sat gently on the edge of the bed and checked her forehead—it was still burning hot with fever.

"Lili," I whispered, trying to wake her up softly. "Lili, please eat something. You need to take your medicine," I said, stroking her hair gently.

"No," she mumbled in her sleep, resisting.

"What do you mean 'no,' Lili? Okay, just a little soup, a few sips," I coaxed her softly.

Reluctantly, she sat up, and I made sure to wrap her in the blanket to keep her warm.

"Here, drink this," I said, holding the spoon near her mouth. She opened her mouth, and I quickly fed her some soup.

After a few sips, she turned her head. "No," she said again, refusing to drink more.

"Just a few more, please," I urged her, and after a moment, she opened her mouth again, allowing me to feed her a little more.

After she finished drinking the soup, she took her medicine, though her words were slurred with exhaustion.

"I want to sleep," she murmured softly.

"Yes, Lili," I whispered, helping her lie back down on the bed. I gently tapped her head, soothing her until she drifted back to sleep.

I sat there for a moment, watching her, feeling a wave of guilt wash over me. I ruined our honeymoon. I should have been focused on her, on us, but instead, I let myself get distracted by that business deal.