Chapter 17: Casa Rossi

Serena felt a surge of nervousness at the thought of meeting Severin's family in such an intimate setting, especially on their last night in Spain before flying back to the UK. But she knew how much it meant to him, so she agreed, trying to push aside the apprehension that lingered in the back of her mind.

"You don't have to worry. We've had a great time here in Spain, and tonight will be no different. My family may be... intense, but they're just people." Severin said, his eyes focused on the road ahead.

Serena nodded, trying to absorb his reassurance, but the doubts still lingered, like a shadow she couldn't quite shake.

When they finally arrived at the estate, its grandeur seemed even more imposing than before.

The sprawling grounds and towering architecture were a stark reminder of the world Severin came from—a world that felt so far removed from her own. As they stepped inside, the air was cool and fragrant, carrying the faint scent of jasmine and polished wood.

Lucia was the first to greet them, her smile warm and genuine as she embraced Severin before turning to Serena. 

"I'm so glad you could come." she said warmly.

Serena returned the smile, feeling some of her anxiety ease in Lucia's presence. 

"Thank you for having me."

Before they could continue, Miguel appeared in the doorway, his expression as serious as always. 

"Severin, a word." he said, his tone leaving no room for argument.

Severin offered Serena an apologetic glance. 

"I'll be back soon."

As the men disappeared into the house, Lucia linked arms with Serena, guiding her further inside. 

"Come with me, Serena. Let's give them some time to talk."

The interior of the estate was as grand as the exterior—high ceilings, polished marble floors, and walls adorned with portraits of ancestors who had shaped the Rossi legacy. Despite the elegance, Lucía's presence made it feel less intimidating.

"Let me show you the drawing room. It's one of my favorite places here. You can almost feel the history in the walls." Lucia said, leading Serena through the house. 

As they entered the drawing room, Serena took in the rich furnishings and the large windows that let in the soft afternoon light. The room had a sense of timelessness, a place where countless conversations had likely unfolded over the years.

"Sit with me, are you feeling okay here?" Lucia invited, gesturing to a pair of comfortable chairs near the window. Once they were settled, she turned to Serena with a curious expression. 

Serena smiled, though a hint of nervousness remained. 

"It's a beautiful place, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little intimidated."

Lucia's smile widened, her gaze understanding. 

"It can be overwhelming, I know. But you've handled everything with such grace. My brother speaks very highly of you, you know."

Serena felt warmth spread through her at Lucia's words.

"He does?"

Lucia nodded. 

"My older brother isn't one to express his feelings openly, but it's clear to me that you mean a lot to him. He's always been the logical, level-headed one in the family, always analyzing every decision. That's how he was when you two first met, wasn't it?"