Chapter 18: Surpassing the Golden Boy

The memory of Spain and those cherished moments with Serena lingered in Severin's mind, offering a calm contrast to the relentless demands of Formula 1. Yet, he knew that this tranquility was fleeting. The pressures of racing loomed ahead, and with the next Grand Prix just days away, the tension was already starting to mount.

Headlines buzzed with speculation:

"Rossi Overtakes Allard: A New Contender Emerges?"

"Can Theo Allard Reclaim His Glory?"

Severin had overtaken his former Ferrari teammate, Theo Allard, moving into fourth place while Theo slipped to fifth. The gap was just 10 points, but it was enough to stoke the fires of competition. Theo, once Ferrari's golden boy, had always managed the media well, hiding his true nature behind a polished smile. But Severin knew the man behind the mask.

The pre-race press conference was packed, anticipation crackling in the air. Severin and Theo sat side by side, their rivalry the focus of every question.

"Theo, you've been leading your former teammate, Severin in the standings for most of the season, but he's just overtaken you. How does that change your approach this weekend?" a reporter asked, leaning forward.

Theo's smile was calm, almost condescending. 

"It's part of the sport. Ups and downs happen. I'm confident in my team and our strategy. We've been working hard, and I'm ready for a strong race." he replied smoothly.

The subtle undercurrent of condescension wasn't lost on anyone, least of all Severin.

Another reporter quickly turned to Severin. 

"Severin, you've had an impressive run lately, climbing the standings and overtaking Theo. What's your mindset going into this race?"

Severin met the reporter's gaze, his tone even. 

"I'm focused on my performance. Our team has made great progress, and I'm pleased with where we're heading. The standings are tight, and I'm just taking it one race at a time."

Theo's smile didn't falter, but something darker flashed in his eyes. 

"It's interesting, isn't it? Sometimes, it's about being in the right place at the right time. A bit of luck can go a long way in this sport." he said lightly.

Severin kept his expression neutral. 

"Luck can play a role, but consistency and hard work make the difference."

The tension between them was thick, the air heavy with unspoken animosity. The reporters, sensing this, pressed on.

"Theo, some might say that Severin's recent performances have positioned him as a serious contender for the championship. Do you see him as a threat?"

Theo's smile remained, but the warmth was gone. 

"It's great to see Severin doing well. But the championship is about more than just a few good races. It's a long season, and it takes more than a lucky streak to win." he said, his insincerity barely hidden.

Theo was trying to undermine Severin's success, downplaying it as mere luck. But Severin wasn't about to take the bait.

"I've always believed that results speak for themselves. We'll see how things play out." Severin replied calmly.

As the press conference ended, Severin couldn't shake the feeling that something was amiss. Over the past few days, he'd noticed strange glances and an unsettling sense of unease within his team. It wasn't until one of his engineers pulled him aside after a strategy meeting that Severin began to understand the source of his discomfort.