Chapter 23: Closing the Gap

The first light of dawn filtered through the curtains, casting a soft, golden glow over the room. Serena stirred slightly, her mind still foggy with sleep, until she felt the warm, solid presence beside her.

Blinking her eyes open, she was met with the sight of Severin's bare chest, his arm wrapped securely around her waist.

For a moment, she was disoriented, unsure of where she was or how she'd ended up in his embrace. But then the throbbing ache between her legs and the slight sting of her swollen lips brought everything back in a rush.

Last night.

The truth hit her like a tidal wave—she had slept with Severin. And not just that—he had confessed that he loved her.

A deep blush crept over her cheeks as she replayed his words in her mind, the memory making her heart race all over again.

Severin shifted beside her, pulling her closer.

"Good morning." he murmured.

His voice was rough with sleep, yet there was a tenderness in it that made Serena's chest tighten.

Serena turned slightly, her eyes taking in the sight of him. With his hair tousled from sleep, his strong jawline shadowed by a hint of stubble, and his dark eyes still heavy with dreams, Severin was breathtaking.

There was something undeniably attractive about him in this state—unguarded, his handsome features softened by the early morning light. She had always found him attractive, but seeing him like this, so close and so real, made her heart ache with a new kind of longing.

"Good morning..." she whispered back, her voice barely audible.

She was acutely aware of every inch of her body pressed against his, of the way his hand was resting possessively on her hip, as if he never wanted to let her go.

Severin's lips brushed the top of her head, and he spoke softly.

"I've already made breakfast, if you're hungry."

Serena's eyes widened slightly.

"You made breakfast?"

"Mm-hmm. I woke up early and thought I'd surprise you." Severin's lips curved into a smile against her hair.

The intimacy of the moment overwhelmed Serena, especially when she met his gaze. His eyes were still heavy with sleep, but the way he looked at her was intense, filled with an emotion that made her feel shy and exposed.

She wasn't sure how to handle this—how to handle him, after everything that had happened between them.

"I, um, I think I need to use the bathroom." she stammered, eager for a moment to collect herself.

Severin chuckled softly as she slipped out of bed, and she blushed even more when she realized she was wearing one of her silk pajamas. She hadn't remembered putting it on last night.

"I dressed you. You fell asleep right after... well, after everything." he said, amusement clear in his voice.

Serena's cheeks burned with embarrassment as she darted toward the bathroom, Severin's laughter following her as she closed the door behind her.

Inside, she leaned against the counter, taking a deep breath. The memory of Severin's hands on her, of the way he had looked at her, the way he had made her feel—it all came rushing back, making her feel warm and flustered.

She splashed water on her face, trying to calm herself before heading back out to face him. When she finally did, she found Severin sitting at the small table in her kitchen, a stack of pancakes laid out before him, along with fresh fruit and syrup.