Chapter 30: DNF

The Las Vegas Grand Prix was set to be a defining moment in the Formula 1 season. For Severin Rossi, it was more than just another race; it was his chance to turn the tide in the World Drivers' Championship standings. 

The pressure was immense, not only because of the championship implications but also because of the personal turmoil that had been plaguing him. The rumors surrounding his supposed affair with Candice Hernaez had driven a wedge between him and Serena, and their relationship was on the rocks. This race was supposed to be his redemption, a way to prove to everyone—and to himself—that he could rise above the chaos and claim his rightful place at the top.

But Severin wasn't in a good place emotionally. The argument with Serena, the relentless media scrutiny, and the pressure to perform were all taking a toll on him. As he sat in the cockpit of his car, waiting for the lights to go out, he couldn't shake the gnawing feeling in his gut that something was off. 

His mind kept drifting back to Serena, to the way she had looked at him with doubt and hurt. He had tried to push it all aside, to focus on the race, but the weight of their unresolved issues was like a heavy cloud hanging over him.

"Stay focused, Sev. We need a clean start. The Red Bulls are going to push hard." Paul's voice crackled over the radio, pulling him back to the present. 

"I'm on it." Severin replied, though his voice lacked its usual conviction.

The race began, and Severin pushed hard, determined to make up ground. He wasn't leading yet, but he was in a strong position, fighting his way through the pack. Each lap brought him closer to the front, but every time he found a rhythm, thoughts of Serena would intrude. 

He kept seeing her face, kept hearing the pain in her voice when she had confronted him about the rumors. The doubts that had been festering between them were now festering inside him, and it was affecting his performance.

As the laps ticked by, Severin noticed something was wrong with the car. It was subtle at first, just a slight hesitation in the engine that he hoped would pass. But as he pushed harder, the issue became more pronounced.

"Car feels off. Something's not right." Severin muttered into the radio.

"Copy that. We're seeing a slight drop in power, but nothing major. Keep pushing." Paul responded. 

Severin tried to push the doubts out of his mind and focus on the race. This was his chance to close the gap in the standings, to show the world that he wasn't done yet. But the uneasy feeling in his gut wouldn't go away.

And then, everything went wrong.

"Shit, I'm losing power!" Severin shouted into the radio as he felt the car begin to stutter. The engine wasn't responding the way it should, and he knew something was seriously wrong. 

"I'm losing power—what the hell is going on?"

"Back off if you need to, Sev." Paul advised, but it was too late.

As Severin tried to maneuver through the failing power, disaster struck. One of the Red Bull cars, driven by one of his fiercest competitors, clipped his rear tire as Severin struggled to maintain control. The impact sent Severin's car spinning off the track and into the barriers with a sickening crunch.

The world seemed to slow down as Severin's car collided with the barriers, the force of the impact jarring him in his seat. The sound of crunching metal and shattering carbon fiber echoed in his ears, and for a moment, everything went silent. 

His vision blurred, and all he could hear was the sound of his own ragged breathing.

"Severin! Severin, are you okay?!" Paul's voice cut through the haze, frantic with worry.