XVI. the return and leave of the famed heroes

0016

0016. | THE RETURN AND
LEAVE OF THE FAMED HEROES

Travis was having a pretty stressful day, to say the least.

A pretty stressful two weeks, actually, but his day was going really bad. First, there had been a fight between campers in his cabin. Lou Ellen was stealing Nyssa's toolkits, transforming them into bananas every time she tried to use her wrench. Once that was fixed and Nyssa's wrenches were metal again instead of potassium, he thought he had a pretty clear day. Then, he had to get his cabin organised for Border Patrol. That was a super hard job anyway, he wasn't sure how Luke had managed it so well for so many years. Then, once everyone was wearing their breastplates the right way round, they were attacked by a Draco Aionius and the entire Demeter Cabin had been scorched and hospitalised. And then, to top his afternoon off, he came back to his bunk to find out that the new Apollo kid Will Solace had stolen his shoe on a dare from Michael Yew!

Travis liked the Apollo Cabin, he really did, they had been great for the last two weeks with healing in the Infirmary and committing to their Border Patrol shifts, but they were a lot more intolerable without their Head Counsellor. Octavia had been gone for nearly two weeks and Travis missed her. Of course he wasn't about to admit that to anyone besides Connor (who teased him relentlessly about it—apparently he moped without her around), but he did. Octavia was kind of like a shadow to him, wherever he looked, she tended to be there. Secretly, he really enjoyed that. He had been harbouring a secret crush on her ever since she came back from her quest to save Apollo.

He knew Connor had a theory, but he never gave it any light. Even though she was ten months younger than him, Octavia was way out of his league. He did everything to distract himself, even trying to get a new crush, but it was no use. Taking to Katie Gardner didn't make him excited in the same way taking to Octavia did.

She was funny and super dumb which made him feel really smart, and she was pretty. Gods, she was pretty. She was risibly the prettiest girl he had ever seen. He had spent any embarrassing amount of dinners in the Mess Hall looking at her on the Apollo table. He liked her orange hair and her bright grin. Her laughter was a little ugly sounding, like a snort, but he didn't mind so long as he had been the one to make her laugh. She was gorgeous, and for some reason, didn't seem to have a crush on any of the guys at Camp. (Or girls, actually, he knew what Apollo was like...)

He had thought for a while last summer that she fancied the new kid Percy Jackson, the son of Poseidon who showed up after slaying the Minotaur and being claimed in the same week. They had made friends immediately and Travis remembered seeing them playing volleyball one time and teasing each other like crazy. He hadn't liked it when they went on a quest together, partly because Octavia's last quest had ended very badly, but also because he feared they might come back more than friends. As it turned out, he had hit the jackpot with Aphrodite because Percy had insulted Octavia and abandoned her in Hades.