Chapter 33: The Tamer Escapes.

Azran: [Gets up] Magic release, Apex...!

Before Azran could even flinch, Horus-Khre's sword sliced through Esther's defenses, its blade biting deep into her torso. The force of the impact sent her stumbling backward, blood bursting from her lips in a crimson spray.

Esther's eyes widened in shock as she was lifted off the ground, the sword pinning her to the wall. The sound of her body thudding against the stone seemed to echo through the corridor.

Azran's vision blurred, his mind reeling in horror. "Esther!" he screamed, his voice cracking with desperation.

Tanya and Maia rushed forward, frozen in shock for only a moment. But it was too late. Esther's body slid down the wall, the sword still lodged in her, her eyes glazing over.

Blood pooled around Esther's limp form, spreading across the stone floor like a dark, deadly stain. The air was heavy with the scent of death, and Azran's world shattered.

Horus-Khre closed in with blistering speed, his divine energy propelling him forward. Tanya swiftly shouldered her sniper rifle, firing a precise shot.

But Horus-Khre didn't flinch. He absorbed the impact, the bullet ricocheting off his skin as if it were mere parchment.

With a swift kick, Horus-Khre sent Maia crashing into the nearby wall. She slid to the ground, dazed.

Tanya's eyes widened as Horus-Khre's fist connected with her jaw, sending her stumbling backward. She crumpled against the wall, her rifle slipping from her grasp.

Azran's mind reeled in shock and terror. "Who the hell is this guy?" he thought, his mental voice laced with panic.

Horus-Khre's attention turned to Azran. A single, crushing punch to the gut doubled him over. Azran's vision blurred, agony exploding through his torso.

Before he could even gasp, Horus-Khre seized him, his grip like a vice. With a mere flick of his wrist, Azran soared through the air, crashing through the adjacent wall.

The sound of crumbling stone and Azran's faint cry echoed through the corridor. His body slid to the ground, limp and unconscious.

Horus-Khre stood tall, his chest heaving slightly. His gaze swept the corridor, his enemies neutralized.

The queen, Azirah, the ghost, approached—the same entity that had killed Khafre, Maia's sister. How was this possible?

Azirah spoke, her voice eerily gentle.

Azirah: Good job, Horus. You have captured the threat.

Horus-Khre replied, his tone deferential.

Horus-Khre: Yes, Mother.

The day passed, and Azran slowly regained consciousness, his senses foggy from Horus-Khre's brutal attack. He found himself confined within a dimly lit tomb, his wrists and ankles bound by heavy chains that hung from the cold stone walls. The sound of echoing footsteps announced Neb's arrival, his staff at the ready.

Azran: [Groggily and weakened] My team... where is my team?

Neb: You are near death, and all you can ask about is where your friends are.

Azran: You bastard, once I get out of here, you're dead, you hear me! You're all dead!

"The only ones dying here are you and your friends." Azirah approaches as she says.

Azran: [Scoffs] So you're still alive, Azirah.

Azirah: Your father might have cursed me to live as a ghost, but my wish that was granted to me has given me not only a new life but immortality as well.