𝟐𝟐: 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐥𝐝𝐬 𝐚𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭

She wished she had taken her dad's phone when she left the house.

Then maybe she could've called her mom, just to talk to her. She really needed her mom right now.

As the rain continued to pour, she found herself wandering closer and closer towards her old home. Her real home. Sophia wiped the rain from her eyes, then shoved her hands back into her pockets.

"God, is it ever going to stop pouring?" She muttered, splashing down the water clogged road.

She slowed her pace as she was about to turn the corner onto her old street. Even in the dark, she could make out the outline of the green street sign. Walking closer and closer, she came to stand directly beneath it.

She knew it was almost midnight, but she also knew at a time like this her mother would probably be up, reading and rereading paperwork. Most likely stressed and sleep deprived.

For the first time in months, she began to walk down her street, stopping in front of her porch.

Was it legal for her to be with her mom right now? Probably not. But she also knew that neither of them would tell a soul if she was.

Steeling herself, she hopped up the steps, knocking softly on the door.

"Mom? Mom are you awake?" She whispered as loudly as possible.

Crash.

Within seconds she heard footsteps pounding towards the door, and as it swung inward she took a step back. Her mom stood there, looking an absolute mess, but it was in stark contrast with the wide smile on her face.

"Sophia! Oh my god, baby!" Her mom put a hand over her mouth in shock.

Sophia ran into her arms, sobbing immediately. She could feel her forehead being peppered with kisses, and they stepped back through the door, her mom shutting it behind them.

"Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry." Her mom sobbed. "I'm so so sorry." She wrapped her arms around her, squeezing with all her might. Sophia never wanted to let go.

"It's okay mom, I'm okay." She reassured her, and they finally pulled back. Her mom's eyes were immediately drawn to her cheekbone.

"That motherfucker." She seethed, guiding her into the kitchen where she gave her a wet washcloth to hold to her face.

"It doesn't hurt." Sophia lied. "He just got angry and I talked back and..." the sentence trailed off into nothing.

Her mom ran her hand across her own forehead, as if she was trying to squeeze a tangible thought from it. "I'm trying everything, but your father has a watertight defense. It's hopeless."

Sophia slumped into a chair, curling her knees to her chest. The wheels in her head were turning at 2x speed. "Could this be evidence?" She pointed to her cheek.

Her mom's brows scrunched together. "Of course it could be. In fact, just that once thing may be enough to get you back, but you're not supposed to be here. I could get into irreversible trouble if I was the one to send in the report."

Sophia readjusted the washcloth in her hand. The silence stretched across the kitchen as they sat there, staring at each other. After a while she got up, walking over to wrap her arms around her mother again. The gesture was reciprocated immediately.

"I don't know what to do mom." She muttered.

Her mother shook her head, petting Sophia's hair the way she used to when she was little. "I'm not letting you go back there for much longer baby. We're going to figure this out, I promise."