Chapter 17 - The Lamb to Be Slaughtered

The Empress acted decisively and began preparing for the Lotus Appreciation Banquet immediately. It was scheduled for ten days later, giving Yang Cairen enough time to get ready.

"The Empress certainly loves to stir things up. It's so hot, and she's planning a Lotus Appreciation Banquet?" Sun Xiuyi complained upon receiving the invitation from Wutong Hall.

She then sneered, "The Empress is probably still trying to promote her cousin. If she succeeds, it will make us seem easy to handle. Send someone to find out what Yang Cairen has been up to these days."

A maidservant immediately went out to investigate.

Sun Xiuyi sat by the window, eating fruit, her eyes filled with concern.

With the arrival of new concubines, each one was a force to be reckoned with. Previously, she had only one rival, Wen Fei (Wen Consort), who was now pregnant, leaving Sun Xiuyi with fewer duties.

Now, with Wu Shi, Ye Shi, and Yao Shi rising in status, Chen Baolin supported by the Empress Dowager, Yang Cairen backed by the Empress, and a few others who had always been slightly favored, Sun Xiuyi found herself seeing the Emperor less frequently.

Continuing like this was unsustainable. She could not compete with the new, fresh faces. Thus, she had to eliminate competitors one by one.

It wasn't only Sun Xiuyi keeping an eye on Yang Cairen.

Zhao Jieyu was also deeply unsettled. Previously, the Empress had supported her wholeheartedly, and she felt loyal in return. But now, with the Empress favoring her pliable cousin, Zhao Jieyu felt neglected.

Without the Empress's support, and having not attended to Lingxi Garden for a while, Zhao Jieyu had faced embarrassment last time when the Emperor had made her a joke.

How could she not be angry?

She had worked hard to achieve the rank of Jieyu, and another promotion would make her one of the nine consorts.

In Southern Qi, a consort's rank was not dependent on childbirth; it depended on favor. Just look at Sun Xiuyi, who had no children but still held a high rank.

Zhao Jieyu knew the Empress was hoping to get a child from Yang Cairen. However, there were others who could give birth.

She had no maternal affection to offer her child to the Empress as the heir. Could the future Emperor treat his birth mother poorly?

One plot after another, Yang Cairen was practically a lamb waiting to be slaughtered.

But this had nothing to do with Ye Yun, who lived her life in peace behind closed doors.

Still, those with ulterior motives often sought her out.

And so, the newly promoted Fang Caijin arrived with a plate of pastries.

"Sister Ye, please don't find me bothersome. I've heard you're a skilled cook, so I made these pastries myself. I hope you will try them."

Fang Caijin instructed Qi Wen to arrange the pastries.

Although Ye Yun was annoyed, she didn't yet have the authority to send her away and forced a smile, taking a bite.

"They taste good, but they'd be better if served warm, don't you think?"

She felt something was lacking.

Fang Caijin, looking puzzled, tasted one herself and then apologetically said, "I came late because I first delivered some to the Empress. It took a bit of time. Let me have someone heat them up; it won't take long."