Chapter 75 - The Fairy

"Your servant greets His Majesty."

The voice came from behind. Ning Chen turned around to see Yi Meiren, shy and timid, performing her curtsy.

"There's no need for that. It's getting late, so you should rest early. We have to continue our journey tomorrow."

Yi Meiren took a few steps closer and said softly, "Your servant has already slept in the carriage, and I'm not tired at the moment. Aren't you taking a walk, Your Majesty? Let me accompany you."

It was dark, and Ning Chen frowned slightly but did not call for anyone. After a moment, he nodded. "Fine, then let's go together."

Yi Meiren was overjoyed and quickly followed.

Her maid, Yun Xiu, was also pleased and deliberately lifted her chin as she passed by Nan Zhi.

Nan Zhi was angry, and Hui Yue quickly pulled her back.

"Don't stick your neck out. If she wants to get the first chance, she should be prepared for others to be jealous and plot against her."

Encouraged by this advice, Nan Zhi stomped her foot in frustration and turned back into the tent.

The next day, they set off early in the morning.

Ye Yun slept in the dark and got up in the dark again, but fortunately, she had rested well this time, so it wasn't as uncomfortable.

When she got into the carriage, she saw Yi Meiren casting a triumphant glance at her, which puzzled her.

Once they were settled, Nan Zhi recounted the events of the previous night in detail.

"Hmm, so she took advantage of me while I was asleep?" Ye Yun said with narrowed eyes, "She didn't even get the chance to attend (bed service), just accompanying His Majesty on a walk around the camp. And she's acting so smug about it."

"Don't be upset, she just got a lucky break," Nan Zhi said, trying to comfort her.

Ye Yun relaxed her body, leaning back against the cushion with a cold snort. "Why should I be angry? She's celebrating over a mere scrap. I'll make sure she knows what it's like to really be in the spotlight."

It was one thing for her to be asleep, but His Majesty had intended to seek her out. It was uncomfortable for her to have been intercepted by Wu Shi (Yi Meiren's maiden name)

Especially the way Yi Meiren had looked so pleased this morning—it made her want to put things right.

So, when the caravan stopped for lunch, Ye Yun immediately went to Ning Chen's carriage.

The highest-ranking person in the carriage was Shu Fei. Upon seeing her, Shu Fei immediately stopped her.

"Why is Ming Meiren here? Instead of staying in your own carriage, you've come all the way to disturb His Majesty's rest."

Ye Yun maintained a calm expression and curtsied. "I've come to request permission from His Majesty to visit my grandfather in Bianzhou. This needs to be reported in advance. Since Empress Dowager will also visit her family in Yuzhou, this must be the proper procedure."

"Such matters can be communicated through me. There's no need for you to bother His Majesty," Shu Fei sneered. "Yesterday, His Majesty was accompanied by Yi Meiren. Are you so envious that you came running over? Don't blame me if I don't warn you—His Majesty is most displeased by those who are petty, jealous, and fawning."

"Even the Empress has no right to prevent me from seeing His Majesty. Why are the rules different once we leave the palace? Since I cannot see His Majesty, I won't trouble Shu Fei. I will find my brother and have him convey my request instead."