Chapter 43 - Wild Ambitions

The next morning, Ye Yun couldn't get up and took her first sick leave. However, she was smart about it and had Ning Chen send someone to inform the Empress, making it more legitimate.

Although this didn't stop people from gossiping, Ye Yun knew that if she cared too much about such things, it would drive her mad. Her comfort was more important.

Sure enough, because she had attended to the emperor the previous night and didn't attend the morning greeting, people were upset but had nowhere to vent, leading to a noisy commotion.

Zhao Jieyu, eager to prove her capabilities to the Empress, was the first to complain.

"She's only been in the palace for a short time, and now she dares to skip paying respects to the Empress? If these newcomers see her flaunting her favor, won't it lead to chaos? You all better stay alert and not follow her example."

Of the newcomers, only two were favored. Yi Wanrong was still confined, and Ye Yun was absent. Zhao Jieyu, with her higher status, seniority, and backing from the Empress, spoke without restraint to the remaining few.

Yao Xiang, hearing this tone, was deeply annoyed. "Zhao Jieyu, feel free to tell Ye Meiren directly. If anyone should be instructing us, it ought to be the Empress herself."

Coming from a prestigious background, she didn't hold Zhao Jieyu, who relied on the Empress, in high regard.

"If Zhao Jieyu dared to confront Ye Meiren, she wouldn't be nitpicking us," Chen Suyu chimed in.

Zhao Jieyu, hit with two retorts, was furious. "How bold of you all! Does my rank as Jieyu mean nothing to you now?"

"Enough!" The Empress frowned and scolded in a low voice. "Stop bickering. What kind of behavior is this?"

Zhao Jieyu glared at the two in frustration but held her tongue.

"Ye Meiren served well and earned the emperor's favor. Instead of bickering before me, you should focus on how to serve the emperor better. That's enough for today; everyone is dismissed. Those who are pregnant will accompany me to see the Empress Dowager. Shufei (consort Shu), you come too. The rest of you need not attend."

The Empress waved her hand irritably, already bothered by the message she had received from Cining Palace that morning.

The crowd dispersed, and the Empress led Shufei, Wenfei, Wang Jieyu, and Xia Cairen to Cining Palace.

After paying their respects to the Empress Dowager, they each took their seats.

"The older I get, the more I cherish the idea of being surrounded by grandchildren. Seeing you all makes me think of them and brings me joy," the Empress Dowager said with a smile.

The Empress also smiled, "His Majesty is still young. In the future, the palace will be filled with princes and princesses, and you, Mother, can enjoy all the family happiness."

"You're right, but I've been raising the eldest princess lately, and while it's delightful, the child wasn't raised by me from the beginning, so we're not that close. She often cries for her mother, which saddens me deeply."

The Empress Dowager sighed, leaving everyone unsure of her intentions.

"The child is still young. Over time, she'll naturally grow closer to you. Blood is thicker than water. You're her grandmother—how could she not be close to you?" the Empress reassured.

Shufei, unable to hold back, spoke up immediately.

"Though it's wonderful for Jia Yu to be in your care, she's young and doesn't understand things yet. If her crying tires you out, it might not be good. Perhaps I should take her back and bring her to visit you often. That way, she can still bring you joy without tiring you."

The Empress Dowager remained silent, merely sipping her tea, clearly inclined toward this suggestion.

Shufei clutched her handkerchief tightly, her eyes filled with anticipation.

"Sending the eldest princess to stay with Mother wasn't solely my decision. It's best if I discuss it with His Majesty before making any final decisions," the Empress said with a light laugh, subtly bringing up Ning Chen.

Shufei was naturally angry and disappointed, knowing that the Empress would never speak on her behalf. After all, it was due to the Empress that the eldest princess had been sent away.

But Shufei couldn't act out now, fearing that the more she protested, the more His Majesty would see her as unstable and unfit to care for the child.

As for the Empress Dowager, she and the Empress had always maintained a surface-level relationship, and she knew this matter wouldn't be resolved easily. However, sending the eldest princess away was just the first step. She hadn't yet revealed her real intentions.

Turning her attention to Xia Cairen, the Empress Dowager spoke again.

"Normally, only those of pin rank or higher can raise their own children. But I've been thinking, once Xia Cairen gives birth, how will things be arranged? Perhaps it would be best if the child were brought to Cining Palace, so I can have some company here."

Upon hearing this, Xia Cairen's face turned pale, and everyone else's expressions shifted as well.

Especially the Empress, who felt utterly repulsed.

His Majesty had sent the eldest princess to Cining Palace to give Shufei a warning, with the intent of returning the child eventually. But for the Empress Dowager to proactively request to take Xia Cairen's child—what were her true intentions?

"It's probably meant for Min Wanrong.

This one is truly going all out for the sake of her niece.

Naturally, the Empress didn't agree. She just used Ning Chen as a shield without giving a definitive answer.

When she finally left the Cining Palace, the Empress was full of frustration and headed straight to Jiuchen Palace.

Behind her, Wen Fei and Wang Jieyu glanced sympathetically at Xia Cairen. As fellow expectant mothers, they deeply understood the hardships she was facing.

Since the Empress Dowager called the three of them, she probably had thoughts about the children in their bellies. But Xia Cairen had the lowest rank and came from the Cining Palace, making her the easiest to manipulate.

A clay bodhisattva crossing the river can barely protect itself, so all they can do is offer Lady Xia their sympathy.

After all, if the Emperor wanted to demonstrate filial piety, who's to say he wouldn't agree to the Empress Dowager's request, separating another mother from her child to avoid separating from his own?

'The Empress Dowager's wish is to raise the child in Xia Cairen's belly at the Cining Palace. As for the Eldest Princess, Shu Fei should raise her herself. After all, she wasn't raised by her side from birth, so they aren't close,' the Empress said with difficulty to Ning Chen, carefully observing his expression.

Ning Chen paused mid-tea, his eyes growing colder.

When he was young, the Empress Dowager was so focused on competing for favor that she left him in the care of a wet nurse. Now hearing this was laughable.

The Eldest Princess is still so young, not even two years old. How long could a child that age remember their birth mother? If the Empress Dowager had truly cared, how could they not be close?

'I understand. Xia Cairen's pregnancy is still early, and I have my own plans. Since the Eldest Princess is troubling the Empress Dowager, let Shu Fei take her back,' Ning Chen said coldly. He then turned to Yuan Jiu and added, 'The Empress Dowager feels lonely. Go to the Ministry of Internal Affairs and have them find two dogs to send to the Cining Palace to amuse her.'

Hearing this, the Empress couldn't help but find it amusing. The Empress Dowager still deluded herself, but the Emperor would never easily hand over a child for her to raise.

After all her scheming, the Empress Dowager ended up with just two dogs. Who knows how angry she will be?

Feeling reassured, the Empress left Jiuchen Palace in a much better mood.

After she left, Ning Chen thought for a moment and decided to send some rewards to Xia Cairen.