Chapter 109 - Sudden Illness and Death

"Some days ago, I disliked the dampness from the rain. Now, after just two days of sunshine, I complain about the heat."

In the courtyard, Ye Yun lazily leaned against the porch, fanning herself with a round fan painted with fish swimming, watching the maids air out the bedding and clothes.

It had rained for so long that these expensive materials had become damp, so they were being aired out before folding and storing.

Baizhu brought over some watermelon and smiled as she handed it to Ye Yun. "Jieyu, have a piece to cool off. This watermelon was just taken out from soaking in the well."

"How is there watermelon already in early June?" Huiyue asked curiously.

Baizhu chuckled. "The Imperial Household Department delivered it this morning. It was shipped from the south by water, very precious. There are only three crates, with a total of twenty melons. Our Yuxiu Pavilion received one."

Ye Yun raised her eyebrows and used a silver chopstick to spear a piece to eat.

Though it wasn't as sweet as the watermelons of July or August, the taste was still quite good. Considering the timing, it was certainly a rare delicacy.

"Who else received some?" Ye Yun asked as she put down the chopsticks.

"Aside from the Empress Dowager and the Empress, those with children received some, as well as yourself, Fang Xiuyi, and Yi Meiren. I also heard that some were sent outside the palace to the two Princes and Princess Jiahe," Baizhu reported honestly.

Ye Yun nodded. With two consecutive rewards like this, it seemed the label of 'favored' was now firmly attached to her in the harem.

Just as she was thinking about this, Huai'an entered from outside.

"Your Ladyship, Jieyu, His Majesty has invited you to speak with him in Jiuchen Palace!"

"Having eaten His Majesty's watermelon, I was just thinking of thanking him. No need to change clothes; I wouldn't want to keep the Emperor waiting," Ye Yun raised an eyebrow.

Huai'an quickly smiled and said, "Jieyu is naturally beautiful, even in coarse cloth you would look lovely. Besides, this outfit may appear simple, but it's made of cloud brocade. His Majesty is sure to like it."

"Huai'an, your flattery grows sweeter by the day. I don't have much to reward you with, but take this pearl hairpin."

As she spoke, Ye Yun casually pulled out a hairpin from her hair and handed it to him. Anything worn in her hair couldn't be a common item, and Huai'an was overjoyed after taking a look at it.

Riding in the sedan chair all the way to Jiuchen Palace, Ye Yun enjoyed not having to walk. Even fanning herself, she didn't sweat.

It was nothing like the old days when walking left her hot and sweaty.

Yuanjiu was waiting outside the hall, and upon seeing her, he smiled and opened the door.

Ye Yun entered, and there sat Ningchen, reading on a couch near the bed.

"Ming Jieyu greets His Majesty," the young girl curtsied gracefully, her soft and sweet voice pulling the man's thoughts back.

Ningchen looked up and saw her delicate figure in pink and white, charming and beautiful.

"Come and sit. I've had them prepare your favorite snacks, and there's fruit as well."

"Then this concubine thanks Your Majesty first!" Ye Yun, with a playful little smile, picked up a piece of pastry and took a bite. "What book is Your Majesty reading?"