Chapter 67 - Habit

"Your Majesty seems to have lost quite a bit of weight this year," Ye Yun said with a smile as she approached.

She skillfully removed the cloak from Ning Chen.

"I'm constantly busy with work, so naturally, I've slimmed down. Unlike you, who seems to have no worries at all and has gained a bit of roundness under the chin," Ning Chen grumbled.

Ye Yun raised an eyebrow. "Even if the sky were to fall, His Majesty would be the one to bear it. I only need to focus on being a pamper concubine, waiting for His Majesty's return and serving him well. With a carefree mind, one naturally gains weight. Besides, I'm still growing, so I'm not worried about putting on a bit of weight."

Hearing this, Ning Chen couldn't help but scrutinize her from head to toe. It didn't seem to make much of a difference.

Noticing the skeptical look from the man in front of her, Ye Yun understood that he didn't believe her. She gave a knowing glance to the side at Hui Yue.

The latter understood and smiled as she spoke, "Indeed, Your Majesty, the clothes the young lady wore when she entered the palace had shorter sleeves and hem, though it wasn't very noticeable. But she is still growing."

Ye Yun was only sixteen years old. She had developed later than most, and with her parents both being of above-average height, it was not surprising that she was still growing a little at this age.

However, to Ning Chen's ears, it felt strange, almost like he was raising a daughter.

The young emperor, still in his early twenties and at the height of his vigor, quickly dispelled the odd thought and moved on to other matters.

"I have been on the throne for nearly two years. This year, I plan to tour the northern regions, all the way to Zhasake. It's close to Lingzhou, so I'll have your brother join us on the northern trip."

Ye Yun considered this for a moment, forming a rough mental map, and then spoke up.

"Zhasake is on the grasslands? It seems to be adjacent to the Liao Kingdom. It appears to be even more important than Lingzhou."

Ning Chen nodded. "The Liao Kingdom has a long and narrow territory, also grassland, and was originally connected to Zhasake. Later, the Taizu conquered it and incorporated it into our Southern Qi territory, building a city wall and appointing the Zhasake king as a prince. Later, Lingzhou was established as a checkpoint, hence the Southern Qi soldiers were assigned to guard it."

"I see, so Zhasake is indeed a strategic location, guarding the gateway to our Southern Qi," Ye Yun said, understanding from this explanation. She then recalled something. "But isn't the spring examination scheduled for March this year? Will His Majesty be able to spare the time?"

Ning Chen smiled, led her inside, and after sitting down and sipping some hot tea, he explained, "The spring examination is set for March 15. It will take five days for the exam. Since it's the first time I'm opening the exam since taking the throne, with a large number of candidates, grading will also take fifteen days. Selecting those who will participate in the palace exam and announcing the results will require three more days. By the time the palace exam, which requires my presence, begins, it will be close to mid-April. I plan to set out on the 10th of February, so two months should be sufficient for the round trip."

Zhasake wasn't too far from the capital; traveling by carriage would take about half a month.

Ye Yun blinked. "So, His Majesty is telling me this now, hoping I will have the chance to travel?"

"If I don't take you along, the harem might be turned upside down by you," Ning Chen said with a mock-serious tone.

Admitting anything was out of the question; it was enough to convey the sentiment.