Chapter 125 - Captivating

When Ye Yun arrived at the entrance of Jiuchen Palace, she happened to run into Liang Yu coming out.

"Greetings to Ming Jieyu," Liang Yu curtsied.

Ye Yun smiled and waved her hand. "No need to be so formal, Lady Official. Are you heading back to the manor?"

"Yes, His Majesty has graciously allowed me to only serve during the day," Liang Yu replied with a smile and respectful tone. "His Majesty was just mentioning you, Jieyu. I won't keep you, you should head in quickly."

"Alright, Lady Official, take care." Ye Yun nodded slightly as a gesture of courtesy.

After exchanging a few words, she turned and entered the hall.

Liang Yu watched her retreating figure and thought to herself, No wonder she's favored—she truly knows how to treat people well.

Though they were titled "female officials," in Nanqi, there had never been a precedent for women serving as officials. Despite their titles, most people still regarded them as palace maids.

However, Ye Yun was different. In her words and actions, there was always an air of respect. She even addressed them as "Lady Officials," unlike other concubines who would simply call them by name, treating them no differently than regular maids.

Everyone desires respect, especially when it comes from someone of higher status. It warms the heart.

Ye Yun wasn't aware that this natural habit of hers had fostered such goodwill.

At that moment, she was being gently pulled by a certain emperor.

"Why haven't you painted your nails?" Ning Chen asked casually, noticing her soft, fair hand.

"It takes a lot of effort to dye them. Do they not look good like this?" Ye Yun replied, indifferent.

With a slight twist of her waist, she slipped into his embrace.

Yuan Jiu quickly lowered his head, thinking to himself, No one else behaves as freely as Ming Jieyu.

In the end, he felt like his presence was in the way and found an excuse to quietly leave.

"Why aren't you serving inside?" Huai'an asked in a low voice, leaning in as Yuan Jiu stepped out.

Yuan Jiu grinned, "With Ming Jieyu here, there's no need for me to stay inside, right? You should be more aware in the future and not act like a wooden block."

Huai'an didn't understand what he meant, but since his master wouldn't punish him, he nodded blankly in agreement.

Inside, the two were talking but had no idea what the servant outside was thinking. 

Ye Yun reached out to hook her arm around Ning Chen's neck, a mischievous smile glimmering in her beautiful eyes. "Your Majesty received a painting made by this servant, shouldn't you give me a little gift in return?"

"Weren't flowers sent over from the flower house? Is that not enough?" Ning Chen raised an eyebrow.

His throat rolled up and down; for some reason, he felt that this little fox was hiding something up her sleeve. Despite knowing she had a little scheme, he couldn't help but want to play along.

"That painting was personally created by me, Your Majesty should at least give me something that you made yourself."

The girl's beautiful eyes narrowed slightly, her lips curving into a sly smile.

Lowering her voice, she spoke like a beguiling enchantress, "If Your Majesty doesn't want to give it, you could also bribe me with your beauty."

Their eyes met, and Ning Chen felt a fire igniting in his heart.