Chapter 49 - Thorough Understanding

"Your Majesty, the Empress Dowager said she's unwell and fears passing the illness to you, so she won't see you today."

Fuzhi, the personal maid, came out to deliver the message, keeping her head down, too afraid to meet Ning Chen's eyes.

In truth, these were not the Empress Dowager's exact words. What she had actually said was, "How dare I trouble the Son of Heaven to care for me? It might cut his life short! I don't have many years left, and I don't want to die early!"

Ning Chen frowned, "I am her son. My mother is unwell; how can I not stay by her bedside to take care of her? I will still go in to see her."

With that, he lifted his foot, about to head inside.

"Your Majesty!" Fuzhi dropped to her knees with a loud thud, trembling as she spoke. "Please have mercy on us servants, Your Majesty. The Empress Dowager... truly doesn't want to see you."

The Empress Dowager had made it clear: she would not see the Emperor today, and anyone who let him in would be beaten to death, regardless of their status.

Ning Chen's eyes, deep as black iron, darkened, and the hands clasped behind his back clenched into fists, his knuckles turning a frightening shade of white.

Just then, the Empress arrived from Fengxi Palace, dressed in a simple, plain gown. She had come to attend to the Empress Dowager.

"Your Majesty," she greeted, bowing, but when she noticed all the servants kneeling on the ground, her expression grew tense.

"At ease," Ning Chen's voice was cold, his gaze fixed on the tightly closed doors of Cining Palace.

 "With the year-end approaching, the affairs of the harem are many, and the Empress is already stretched thin. I fear she will be unable to properly care for the Empress Dowager. Chen Wanrong has always been favored by the Empress Dowager, so let her stay in Cining Palace for the time being to tend to her. As for Chen Wanrong's previous transgressions, without the Empress Dowager's plea, she should have been demoted. If she cannot redeem herself, there's no need for her to remain in her current position."

The Empress was shocked, a flash of disbelief crossing her eyes before she quickly lowered her head, her mind in turmoil.

Was this... a direct confrontation with the Empress Dowager?

"Your Majesty!" Fuzhi's eyes widened in disbelief at this turn of events.

Ning Chen's expression hardened, and a wave of coldness surged through him. Seeing Fuzhi's reaction only confirmed that the Empress Dowager had given instructions.

Was she trying to force his hand again?

"I have matters to attend to. Since the Empress Dowager is concerned for my health and does not wish to spread her illness, I won't stay any longer. Yuan Jiu, go to Yaoguang Pavilion and personally escort Chen Wanrong to Cining Palace."

With that, he flicked his robe and strode away, his retreating figure radiating suppressed anger.

The Empress glanced at Fuzhi on the ground, then at the main hall of Cining Palace. A wave of satisfaction swept through her.

Now that she wasn't required to care for the Empress Dowager, she turned and returned to Fengxi Palace.

Behind her, Fuzhi slumped to the ground, her legs weak, and a young maid quickly came over to help her up.

After a while, Fuzhi entered the inner hall of the Empress Dowager's chambers. Looking at the Empress Dowager lying on the bed, she didn't know how to begin.