Chapter 19 - Beyond Control

"Are you happy?" Ning Chen raised an eyebrow.

Ye Yun picked up a piece of red bean cake and flirted, "Of course I'm happy. She came to bully me, and I managed to turn the tables. Having won this battle, will the Emperor reward me?"

"Tsk... You're something else. Reward you? She has a title. You should at least be a bit restrained."

The Emperor's words were at odds with his actions. Although he said this, he took out a jade pendant from his waist and handed it to her.

"This jade is of good quality and still uncarved. It's a gift for you. You can either keep it as a memento or make it into jewelry; it's up to you."

Ye Yun received it. It was a piece of fine mutton-fat jade, oval-shaped, which could be crafted into several items.

She naturally accepted it without hesitation.

The two of them sat for a while longer. As it gradually grew hotter, even though it was cloudy, it was still uncomfortable to stay outside.

Ning Chen thought Zhaixing Pavilion was too small, so he took Ye Yun directly to Jing Qian Palace.

Unfortunately, as soon as Ye Yun had barely settled, a courtier requested an audience.

It was none other than Chen Baolin's father, the Emperor's uncle, Lord Chen.

"Lord Chen said he came here for matters concerning the Ministry of Personnel. Will You Majesty see him?" Yuan Jiu asked cautiously.

Ning Chen's expression turned cold. The Ministry of Personnel again—this time, who was he trying to get a good position for?

Women of the harem shouldn't interfere in court matters, so Ye Yun obediently withdrew.

As she was leaving, she happened to meet Lord Chen. They exchanged formal greetings and went their separate ways.

"This Lord Chen doesn't look like Chen Baolin at all. I heard he's a civil official, but he looks quite martial," Hui Yue whispered.

Lu Yan also spoke up, "I've had the chance to observe the Chen family from a distance. This lord resembles the Empress Dowager somewhat, while Chen Baolin looks more like her mother."

"Oh? Then Chen Bao Lin's mother must have been a beauty. Chen Baolin herself looks quite good."

Ye Yun smiled and continued chatting idly, "Lu Yan, how old are you this year, and how long have you been in the palace?"

"Replying to Wanrong, I'm twenty-four this year. I entered the palace as a young selection at sixteen and have been serving the late Emperor Qin Zhaorong. Last year, after the late emperor passed away, I was transferred to the Internal Affairs Department and this year assigned to serve you, so I've been in the palace for eight years."

Lu Yan answered truthfully, with a hint of discomfort in her eyes.

These questions had already been asked during the selection process. Why ask again?

"Twenty-four? According to the rules, you can leave the palace and marry at the age of twenty-five," Ye Yun smiled at her. "You should serve well, and next year when you leave the palace, I'll prepare a dowry for you. All the maidservants who serve me are treated the same; when they leave the palace, they will all receive a dowry."

At this moment, Ye Yun had no ulterior motive. She was simply making a promise, and she had the means to do so. She wasn't stingy about this.

Little did she know, this casual remark would give her a chance to strike back at a crucial moment.