Chapter 108 - Long-Term Plans

After the Dragon Boat Festival, the weather gradually warmed up. Starting in mid-May, it suddenly rained for over ten days, and the rain was quite heavy, causing minor flooding in the outskirts of the capital.

The fields were soaked, and it was the time for planting crops, leaving the common folk worried. If this continued, they would lose a lot this year, making half a year of hard work in vain.

Fortunately, on the fourth of June, the rain finally stopped.

It was a good day, just in time for Wang Xiuyuan to end her confinement and the second princess's full moon celebration.

Previously, they had brought an end to the palace's gloom, and now they had encountered a reprieve from natural disasters. Even Ye Yun, who didn't believe in fate, had to sigh and say it was good fortune.

Thus, the full moon banquet for the second princess was lively.

Wang Xiuyuan had recovered well, though she was slightly plumper than before. It was normal to gain some weight after being well-fed during confinement without exercise, and it didn't affect her appearance.

After carrying the second princess out, she smiled and greeted, "This humble servant greets the Emperor, Empress, and all elder sisters."

The high-ranking officials received her greeting, and the younger concubines bowed in response.

After some polite exchanges, they all sat down.

"Quick, bring the princess to me; I really adore such a fortunate child," the Empress said, smiling and waving.

Wang Xiuyuan instructed her maid to bring the second princess over.

The Empress had never given birth, so she didn't know how to hold the child. Afraid of dropping her, she just looked on with envy and bitterness.

Ning Chen held the baby for a moment; having held both the first princess and the first prince, he was more practiced than the Empress.

"I see this child is round and fair, just like the moon; she's really adorable. Wang Xiuyuan has raised her beautifully."

"Wang Xiuyuan is meticulous by nature, and our second princess is the Emperor's precious darling. A child of heaven is bound to be blessed. She's not only lovely now, but she will surely be a beauty in the future," Wen De Fei chimed in with a smile.

Shu Fei sat nearby, her heart ablaze with jealousy.

The Wang family only held a low-ranking official position, yet they were fortunate enough to give birth to the second princess and enjoy good fortune, making the second princess appear more favored than the first princess.

Even if she wasn't favored, she was still a high-ranking consort with a good family background. How could she tolerate another's daughter surpassing her own?

Looking at her three-year-old daughter in her arms, her gaze flickered before she set the child down.

"Jia Yu, didn't you say you like your little sister? Why don't you go take a look at her? Do you remember the poem your mother taught you yesterday? Recite it for your father to hear."

The first princess, being small, was extremely timid. She looked at Ning Chen with fearful eyes, clutching Shu Fei's sleeve and refusing to let go.

Shu Fei was not favored, and since Ning Chen rarely visited Changchun Palace, he was naturally not close to the first princess.

"Jia Yu, don't be afraid; quickly recite it for your father," Shu Fei encouraged, gently patting her daughter's head.

The first princess finally mustered her courage and spoke softly, "Older brothers are friendly, younger brothers are respectful; brothers should be harmonious, and filial piety is essential; Mother teaches daughters to be loving as sisters and brothers, to make Father happy."