Chapter 66 - Holding a Grudge

As Shu Fei knelt, Zhang Baolin followed suit, leaving Ye Yun standing alone.

Zhang Baolin harbored resentment but was now at a loss for words. Any further comments from her would only add fuel to the fire. Although she had already expressed her grievances on the way there, Shu Fei was still outmaneuvered by the Empress and Ye Yun, who had quickly turned the situation around.

Zhang Baolin thought Shu Fei was foolish and inept, which explained why, despite giving birth to the Princess, she was still struggling.

The Empress, visibly agitated, took some time to calm down before speaking again.

"Enough. You need to work on your temper. With such a lack of restraint, how can you properly educate the Princess? This time, I will let you off lightly. You are to copy the palace regulations thirty times and be fined a month's worth of salary."

Shu Fei sighed with relief.

She was a typical paper tiger—appearing formidable on the outside but weak within. This was why, despite her background and the fact that she had given birth to the Eldest Princess, she could not dominate the Empress.

Had Shu Fei been more adept and scheming, the Empress would not have been so lenient.

However, merely punishing Shu Fei was not enough to maintain fairness; Ye Yun had to be penalized as well. But considering she had already been slapped, her punishment was less severe: copying the palace regulations ten times and a month's salary fine.

Moreover, Ye Yun would not let Zhang Baolin leave unscathed. She made sure to mention the issues with the needlework department, leading to Zhang Baolin being reprimanded for poor management of her servants and fined a month's salary.

Though not a large sum, it was significant for Zhang Baolin, who was already struggling financially. With the New Year approaching and numerous expenses, this additional deduction made her situation even more dire.

After leaving Fengxi Palace, Shu Fei was still fuming and departed without Zhang Baolin, leaving her behind as she took the carriage.

Zhang Baolin, feeling awkward and unable to follow, had to walk by herself. According to the rules, she could not advance to a higher position and had to stay behind Ye Yun, enduring the discomfort.

Ye Yun walked slowly, deliberately holding back.

After about the time it took to burn an incense stick, they reached a fork in the road, where the two were about to part ways. Suddenly, Ye Yun stopped in her tracks.

"Zhang Baolin can sing, and it seems she can also act. I love watching plays but do not enjoy performing. If someone were forced onto the stage, they would surely be skinned alive. Remember this, Zhang Baolin; I don't want to repeat myself."

"Is my lady referring to the needlework department incident? I am at fault for not managing my servants well. However, the Empress has already punished me today. Please, spare my life."

Her voice trembled with a hint of crying.

She turned around and indeed saw Zhang Baolin on the verge of tears, still acting innocent.

Ye Yun sneered, raising an eyebrow slightly. "You should save this act for the Emperor. Zhang Baolin, remember this: I have a narrow mind and bear grudges. As long as I am above you, you will not have an easy time. You should understand the consequences of repeatedly provoking me!"

With that, Ye Yun turned and left, leaving Zhang Baolin seething behind her.

"Baolin, what are we going to do from now on? ..."