Chapter 120 - Qingqing

"What are you thinking about? Why isn't anyone here to serve you?"

A voice came from behind, and Ye Yun put down her teacup, turning around to see Ning Chen entering the room.

"Your Majesty has arrived. I sent them to prepare dinner; I didn't expect you to come so early," Ye Yun smiled.

Ning Chen raised an eyebrow, "What? Are you displeased that I arrived early?"

"I didn't say that—it's Your Majesty's own words," Ye Yun huffed lightly.

Because she had downplayed the assassination attempt, avoiding a major uproar, Ning Chen had been feeling guilty, which was why he hadn't visited her for a while.

But today, seeing that Ye Yun was still the same as before, although he still felt guilty, he didn't feel as uncomfortable. He took her hand gently, "I missed you, Qingqing, so naturally, I came early."

Ye Yun froze for a moment upon hearing him call her that, her ears immediately tinged with a red blush. "Why is Your Majesty calling me that? It's quite embarrassing."

In truth, she wasn't truly embarrassed—just a little uncomfortable. After all, Ning Chen was a handsome man, and having him call her Qingqing like that, who wouldn't feel a ripple in their heart?

Fortunately, she had strong self-control. If it were any other consort, that one-word Qingqing would likely have sent them into the clouds.

Remembering the other consorts, Ye Yun quickly calmed herself. Right, the man in front of her was the Emperor, after all.

"Don't you like it?" Ning Chen's face also reddened a little, but he pretended to be calm as he continued holding her hand. "There's a line in poetry: When drunk, I call for my Qingqing. I think these two words sound wonderful. From now on, I will only call you that."

(Translator Xiaobai: "Qingqing" (卿卿) is a term of endearment in Chinese, often used to express affection toward a loved one, similar to calling someone "darling" or "sweetheart" in English.)

At Ye Yun's place, Ning Chen increasingly felt that being with her was different from anywhere else. This kind of connection was something he had never experienced before, not even with Wen De Fei.

No matter what, he found this woman captivating and alluring in every way. Ning Chen even silently sighed to himself, thinking that if he weren't committed to self-restraint, he might spoil her excessively every single day.

It was precisely because of this that, after Ye Yun's assassination attempt, he couldn't investigate further, and the guilt weighed on him so heavily that he didn't dare to face her.

"If Your Majesty likes it, then call me that. But since you said you'd only call me that, you mustn't go back on your word," Ye Yun said, lifting her chin in a proud manner, though her cheeks were tinged with a soft blush. Her coy expression only made her more lovable.

After dinner, Ning Chen showed no intention of leaving, and Ye Yun had no plans to send him away either. She simply instructed the servants to prepare the bath. Although her arm still needed to be nursed, with no visible wounds, it was fine for her to get wet.

The servants brought in a wooden tub large enough for two people—clearly at Ning Chen's request. After dismissing the servants, he held her and gently placed her into the tub.

With their clothes fully removed, the tub wasn't as spacious as the Shuangyan Pool, so the two of them were pressed closely together. Even someone as bold as Ye Yun couldn't help but blush.

Ning Chen turned her face away, raising his hand to gently trace the smooth curve of her back, from her shoulder down to her waist, following the faint scar. The bruise on her left shoulder still hadn't faded, standing out starkly against her fair skin.