Chapter 126 - New Favorites and Old Flames

"What news?" Ye Yun squinted.

Lu He lowered her voice and said, "I have a fellow villager who works at the laundry bureau. She mentioned that Yi Meiren hasn't sent any soiled clothes even though it's usually her monthly cycle during this time. I kept an eye on it and inquired a bit at the kitchen as well. They said that recently, Yi Meiren's meals have been especially meticulous, avoiding all raw, spicy, and cold foods. Last year, she loved eating crabs, but she hasn't ordered them even once this year."

"Could it be that she is...?" Ye Yun quickly connected the dots.

"I can't say for sure, but with this situation, it seems likely," Lu He replied.

Last year, she had a miscarriage, and now she's pregnant again. Wu Shi's body really is prone to conception.

Ye Yun raised an eyebrow slightly. "Let's not make this public just yet. Go find out more details. If it's true, then I'll be happy."

"Jieyu, she's a Meiren now. If she's pregnant, she will definitely be promoted. Once she gives birth, won't she overshadow you? How can you be happy?" Nan Zhi said anxiously, stamping her foot.

Ye Yun smiled nonchalantly, "Why wouldn't I be happy? She's here to act as my shield."

"Don't just look at the fact that she's currently overshadowing me. Even if she gives birth and gets promoted to a Jieyu, the days are still long. There will be chances to compete; there's no need for me to rush to claim a temporary advantage."

"I've been in the limelight too much lately and have unknowingly drawn the ire of many. If Yi Meiren really is pregnant, a favored beauty with a respectable background who is also pregnant... Oh no, maybe it'll be Jieyu. If she stands in front, she can draw away quite a bit of the fire aimed at me."

With this explanation, the two maids understood, though they still felt uncomfortable.

Others were pregnant, while their own mistress was still taking those pills and refused to have children. It was truly worrisome.

However, they didn't voice their concerns. After all, both maids understood that Ye Yun was a very opinionated person. Once she made up her mind about something, she wouldn't easily change her thoughts.

It was indeed not the right time for her to conceive.

That day, no one was summoned to Jiucheng Palace, and Ning Chen didn't enter the inner palace, resulting in no disturbances.

The next day, Ye Yun woke up with a gloomy face.

"Why is Jieyu unhappy so early in the morning?" Nan Zhi, attending to her dressing, asked carefully.

Ye Yun rubbed her temples, sounding quite helpless. "I didn't go to pay my respects yesterday, and the day before I had to serve the Emperor. They didn't catch me yesterday, but they've seized the opportunity today. How can they not take it out on me?"

Although she wasn't afraid, it was still annoying. Who wanted to argue every day?

Hui Yue came in holding clothes and, hearing this, laughed. "Didn't Jieyu say last night before sleeping that she wanted to outwit a crowd of scholars? Why is she looking so down today?"

"Hmm... Who hasn't had days when they didn't want to go to work?" Ye Yun huffed.

"Go to work?" Hui Yue was puzzled.

Ye Yun wouldn't explain, just chuckled. "Let's just say I don't want to argue today. Make me look imposing; I don't want to seem easily bullied at first glance."

"Okay, okay, let's style your hair in a double bun and wear that set of gold peacock accessories. It'll look both majestic and graceful," Nan Zhi said with a smile.