Chapter 123 - Grace

As their eyes met, Yao Xiang did not flinch in the slightest.

In fact, Wen De Fei suddenly felt that this young woman had a gaze that was sharper and more seasoned than her age suggested.

"Alright, it's just a small matter, not worth your argument," the Empress finally interrupted.

Everyone then stopped, as if nothing had happened, and resumed drinking tea.

"Su Meiren, you may sit down. This pair of jade bracelets is a reward for you. In the future, you must strictly adhere to palace rules and strive to bear children for the Emperor as soon as possible," the Empress said with a gentle smile, directing Ding Momo to present a box.

Su Meiren immediately stood up to receive it, "Thank you, Empress, for your reward. I will certainly follow your teachings!"

Her appearance of fear and trepidation showed no trace of the demeanor a princess should have, even less than the noble ladies of the capital.

It was evident that the difficult days had worn down her edges.

After a few more formal words and some instructions about the Mid-Autumn Festival banquet, the Empress dismissed everyone.

In Chuxiu Palace...

After returning, Wen De Fei first went to see the eldest prince. The child was listless and fell asleep after a short while of playing.

Back in the main hall, Bai Lu brought a bowl of medicine.

"The temperature is just right now, Your Highness, please drink it."

"I've been drinking this for so long, yet there's no improvement," Wen De Fei said irritably, but still took the bowl and drank it all.

Since giving birth to the eldest prince, she had a prolonged period of lochia, and her menstrual cycle became irregular.

During the plague, she feared for the child's life and worried day and night, making her feel unwell all over.

Now, she was very afraid of the cold and often felt discomfort in her lower abdomen, especially during her period, when the pain was severe.

She had never been like this before, clearly a result of the difficult childbirth.

Moreover, although she appeared to be indifferent to worldly affairs, could she really not strive for favor? Her seemingly uncompetitive yet competitive nature was more exhausting than others.

With poor health and constant worry, how could she recover?

"Today, I realized I had underestimated Yao Shi before," Wen De Fei wiped her mouth and squinted slightly. "After all, with an aunt like Tai Guifei, how could the niece be lacking?"

"The Emperor only appreciates her for saving his life. He rarely visited her before. I think she got carried away after her sudden promotion and dared to oppose you!" Bai Shuang spat disdainfully.

Wen De Fei shook her head in disagreement.

"The Emperor rarely visited her before, but he never forgot her. Now, without children or seniority, she holds a high position and receives more favor than before. To remain so composed and unassuming, she must be very shrewd."

Moreover, today Wen De Fei felt that there was something deeper and more ancient in Yao Xiang's gaze.

It was as if... as if they had known each other for a long time.

But that was clearly impossible. Yao Xiang had only been in the palace for a year, and they had no interactions. How could there be such a feeling?

Wen De Fei raised her hand to rub her temples, feeling both irritated and exhausted.