Chapter 73 - The Illegitimate Son

However, only Yang Baolin was left behind.

Zhao Jieyu felt deeply resentful as she watched the two enter the inner chamber, her frustration making her want to tear the handkerchief she held into pieces.

It seemed that the Empress was truly abandoning her; all the good things now went to Yang Baolin first. She was not included in the palace entourage, and the New Year's jewelry and fabric she received were not as nice as those given to Yang Baolin. This situation was unacceptable.

She was one rank away from the Nine Consorts. Without the Empress's support, that rank was a significant challenge to attain. It seemed she needed to take action to make the Empress pay attention to her again.

Regardless of the turbulent undercurrents in the inner palace, major matters still had to be addressed.

At the end of the lunar month, the position of the chief examiner for the Southern Qi Imperial Examination was finally decided, with Grand Scholar He appointed to the role.

The He family was a scholarly lineage with a history of a hundred years, and Grand Scholar He himself had been a prominent figure in the previous emperor's cabinet. Although he had been relatively quiet in recent years, he remained influential.

The appointment surprised the court officials, but there were no objections.

Of course, it was also important to give the Chen family some face. Among those assisting from the side were not only the Prince Consort He Xinyan and Minister of Personnel Xu Jiangbai but also Ning Chen's cousin, the eldest son of the Duke of Ying.

Indeed, the He family was more excited than surprised.

The He family father and son were talented, but due to their position, they had to restrain themselves. Historically, to prevent the Prince Consort from becoming too powerful by affiliating with the royal family, he was rarely given any substantial positions.

Moreover, not only did the Prince Consort need to avoid suspicion, but the entire He family did as well. This led Grand Scholar He to voluntarily take on the less influential task of compiling documents.

Now that Ning Chen had issued this decree, it was clear he intended to employ the He family.

After all, the use of the Prince Consort was not explicitly regulated and depended on the Emperor's personal decision.

Ning Chen was young and had the courage and vision to employ the He family. Given the current situation, appointing the He father and son would resolve many problems, making it a beneficial move in multiple ways.

The He family...

Ning Jin and the Prince Consort had a good relationship, so even though there was a princess's residence, they did not live there and stayed at the He residence.

"Madam, His Majesty has decreed that my father will serve as the chief examiner for the imperial examination, and I will be involved as well. It looks like I'll be quite busy during this period," He Xinyan said with an uncontainable smile.

As a young and ambitious man, he was eager to achieve great things.

Ning Jin was initially taken aback but then smiled. "It's truly rare for my husband to get this opportunity. These years, I have held you back, but now His Majesty has seen your talent. It's not in vain that you've never slacked off all these years."

"Don't say that. To have you as my wife is my great fortune," He Xinyan said as he embraced Ning Jin. "You have borne me a son and a daughter; this life is enough for me."

Ning Jin's heart softened, and she hugged her husband back.

She then spoke gently, "There are things I shouldn't say as a mere woman, but I can't help but offer a few reminders. His Majesty's favor is merely because our He family is unentangled with others. My husband, please don't be foolish. Since His Majesty has employed us, we must serve him wholeheartedly and not repeat the mistakes of others. For the sake of temporary glory, the future may be uncertain."