Chapter 103 - The Wheel of Fortune Turns

As expected, five days later, Ning Chen stepped back into the harem. On the first night, he stayed with the Empress, giving her the proper respect.

The Empress had previously worried that the emperor might not come to her due to the matter with Xia Wanrong, but fortunately, he did not.

Next, he went to visit Wen De Fei, which was understandable. Wen De Fei had always been favored and had given birth to the first prince, so the emperor valued her.

Although the first prince was still ailing, he was, after all, the emperor's first son. The third visit was to the favored Fang Xiuyi.

Ye Yun was not surprised; after all, this person had saved the emperor. As long as the emperor remembered the Yao family's contribution, she would hold a special status.

"I was thinking the emperor should be coming to us soon," Huiyue said softly.

Ye Yun smiled, "There are probably still a few more to go before us."

Yi Meiren had always been favored more than her, and Shu Fei had yet to be visited. After all, she had given birth to the first princess, and Ning Chen wouldn't neglect her, not to mention Wang Jieyu, who was pregnant.

Sure enough, two or three days later, Ning Chen re-entered the harem and went to see Shu Fei in Changchun Palace but did not stay overnight. He later visited Wang Jieyu and again did not stay.

Just when everyone was eager to see who would spend the night first, Ming Jieyu or Yi Meiren, Ning Chen then didn't enter the harem for another five or six days.

Finally, when the emperor arrived at Yuxi Pavilion, it was already early May. This time, it was actually Ye Yun who was ahead of Yi Meiren.

The wheel of fortune truly turns; once among this batch of newcomers, Yi Meiren was the standout. Now that Fang Xiuyi had risen, and Ming Jieyu had also emerged, Yi Meiren, who was once the favored one, had been overshadowed.

"Ah, the emperor's arrival means my injuries have healed, and I'll have to go pay my respects tomorrow," Ye Yun said, clicking her tongue, thinking about the early morning duty that was quite bothersome.

"If you dislike me, I can just leave," Ning Chen huffed, taking a step as if to leave.

Unexpectedly, Ye Yun stared at him wide-eyed, showing no intention of stopping him. This irritated him, prompting him to turn back and slap her on the bottom.

"Ow!" Ye Yun exclaimed, bumping her head against Ning Chen's chest. "I'm injured, and the emperor hasn't come to see me. Now you come and hit me; it's unbearable!"

Her little tantrum made Ning Chen feel a bit embarrassed.

"I'm not ignoring you. I have many affairs in court; you should be more understanding," Ning Chen said, leading her inside.

During this time, he hadn't visited Fang Xiuyi either, but he frequently sent people to inquire about her, so he wasn't completely neglecting her.

Seeing the situation was favorable, Ye Yun took the opportunity to cling to his arm.

"I know the emperor is busy; I'm not complaining, just hoping you could visit me more often."

She was always good at being charming, which made Ning Chen feel a flutter in his heart.

After sitting down, Ning Chen noticed she was wearing a pair of intricately carved bangles he had never seen before.

"These bangles are exquisitely designed; they don't look like palace items."

"The emperor thinks they look good too? These were sent by my uncle. My two cousins stayed with my family during the spring examinations, and my uncle had someone bring some things for my mother and me," Ye Yun explained.