Chapter 102 - The Emperor's Wrath

This April was far from ordinary.

The Emperor was ambushed during his northern inspection, the harem lost an imperial heir who was about to be born, and it was the first imperial examination since the Emperor ascended the throne. The atmosphere in the entire imperial palace grew extremely tense.

The real culprit behind poisoning Xia Wanrong was never found, but in his anger, Ning Chen executed a group of kitchen servants and the imperial physician responsible for her prenatal care.

However, that was not the most significant event. The most notable matter was the stripping of Yan Xiuyi's title, which was a severe blow to her dignity.

Out of respect for their long history, Ning Chen did not publicly announce that Yan Xiuyi had over-supplemented Xia Wanrong, causing the fetus to grow too large. He merely claimed that she had neglected to properly care for Xia Wanrong, indirectly leading to the death of the imperial heir, and thus revoked her title as punishment.

The Emperor's wrath, though not spilling blood across the palace, marked the first time he had killed so many servants since his ascension. This move did indeed make the harem servants more obedient.

The Empress took advantage of the situation and brought Yang Baolin to Fengxi Palace to care for her pregnancy, stating that it would be more thorough with her by her side.

The Empress Dowager initially wanted to accuse the Empress of favoritism toward her cousin, but seeing Ning Chen's approval, she held her tongue. Nonetheless, she was still frustrated and summoned Chen Wanrong to the Cining Palace.

"You tell me, Yao shi was rewarded for her merit in protecting the Emperor and was promoted to the rank of fourth-rank Xiuyi, Ye shi was promoted to Jieyu, and even Yang shi is pregnant. Why are you so disappointing?"

"Your servant is useless and has let the Empress Dowager down," Chen Wanrong replied, kneeling with her head lowered.

By now, she had given up hope on gaining favor, and with that, she grew even more disappointed in both the Empress Dowager and the Chen family. These people only sought to benefit from her, never truly caring about her. Blood may be thicker than water, but she no longer felt that connection.

Fuzhi quickly stepped in to mediate. "Please calm down, Empress Dowager. Such an opportunity to protect the Emperor is once in a lifetime, and it's not something Wanrong could have gotten even if she wanted. Ming Jieyu's brother is currently serving the Emperor, which is why she enjoys special treatment. As for pregnancy, there are many who have served the Emperor for years without conceiving. These things cannot be rushed. Now that the relationship between you and the Emperor has eased slightly, these matters must be taken step by step."

The Empress Dowager sighed, still deeply troubled, and waved for her maid to help Chen Wanrong up.

Fuzhi personally assisted Lady Chen Wanrong to rise and sit beside her.

"Suyu, I am getting old and don't know how much longer I can live. The glory of our Chen family rests entirely on your shoulders. Don't be angry at me for scolding you today; I'm just anxious."

Hearing these words, Chen Suyu felt a deep bitterness but could only play along.

"Aunt, I understand your good intentions. The Emperor has few heirs, and I will surely do my best to win his favor, bear him an heir, and extend the Chen family's honor."

The Empress Dowager finally felt a little more satisfied and gestured for Fuzhi to fetch a porcelain bottle from the cabinet.

"These are pills I procured from outside, very effective for aiding conception. After you serve the Emperor, take one, and it may help you conceive sooner."

Chen Wanrong accepted the bottle and tucked it into her sleeve, her emotions complicated, though she said nothing.

With the tense atmosphere in the harem, the Empress Dowager did not dare to keep her long. After a few words, she dismissed her.

Upon returning to her residence, Chen Shi placed the bottle deep in her cabinet, clearly not planning to use it.

Her maid, Xiaoyuling, was puzzled. "Wanrong, aren't you going to take the medicine?"

"The Empress has not yet borne a legitimate heir. Given my status, what would be the point?" Chen Wanrong replied coolly.

The clever maid, Chunyu, simply sighed, feeling great pity for her mistress.

Compared to the disappointment of the Chen family aunt and niece, Tai Guifei and Yao Xiang were riding high.

Just yesterday, Tai Guifei had personally visited Yao Xiang.

Now titled Fang Xiuyi, Yao Xiang had finally moved from the back hall of Weirui Pavilion into the main hall, and despite her injuries, she was in high spirits.

"What a rare opportunity this has been for you. Heaven truly favors you. Although the Emperor seems harsh, he is a man who values sentiment. Just look at how those who served him before he ascended to the throne have been treated kindly in the palace. With your life-saving merit, your future path will be much smoother."

Tai Guifei smiled as she grasped her niece's hand, increasingly pleased with Yao Xiang.

However, she couldn't help but sigh inwardly. If only her son had been more ambitious and had taken the throne, Yao Xiang could have been the Empress.

Unfortunately, Prince Ning Hao lived up to his title, preferring a life of tranquility, showing none of the ambition inherited from his mother, Tai Guifei.

Because of this, despite Tai Guifei's looming presence, Ning Hao and Ning Chen still maintained a decent relationship.

"Aunt, rest assured. Since even Heaven favors me, I will surely reclaim everything that rightfully belongs to the Yao family. Xiuyi is just the beginning."

Yao Xiang smiled faintly, the fierce determination in her eyes contrasting sharply with her young age. Tai Guifei had not noticed these details and was only satisfied with her fighting spirit and ambition. Since she hadn't attained the higher rank, let her niece take that position.

Once inside these deep palace walls, how many could remain uncompetitive? Even Ye Jun was vying for favor in her own way, wasn't she just trying to make her life easier?

The turmoil in the harem always followed the emperor's steps, and until this year's top scholar was announced, Ning Chen had yet to step into the harem. After a month of recuperation, Ye Yun's wounds had finally healed, though scabs still clung to her skin.

The imperial physician had expressly warned her not to touch water or tear off the scabs, or she would be left with scars. Yet, as the wound healed, it inevitably became itchy, which was quite torturous.

Huiyue and Nanzhi, along with Lu Zhi, Lu He, and Lu Mei, took turns guarding her, ensuring that Ye Yun's hands never touched her wounds. If she felt itchy, they would gently scratch it for her, fearing this delicate mistress would accidentally worsen the wound and leave a scar.

Fortunately, their efforts bore fruit; at least the places where the scabs had fallen off only bore faint marks slightly paler than her original skin, hardly noticeable unless one looked closely.

Huiyue felt heartbroken. The moment she returned to serve, she saw Ye Yun in this state, and she had secretly cried several times behind her back.

However, Ye Yun's attention was completely elsewhere. She had someone send a message outside the palace to inquire about her two cousins' exam results, which happened to arrive today.

"Elder cousin ranked thirty-seventh in the second tier, and second cousin ranked ninety-fifth in the third tier; they both passed," Ye Jun said, looking at the letter in a good mood.

This year, three scholars were selected from the first tier, forty-seven from the second tier, and seventy from the third tier, totaling one hundred and twenty people. This number was considered average compared to previous spring examinations of Nan Qi.

"I suppose the emperor will soon enter the harem now that he has a new batch of talented scholars; he should be in a good mood," Ye Yun smiled, standing up to stretch her body.

While she enjoyed the days of recovering without needing to pay her respects, the gloom in the harem had to dissipate as well.