Chapter 106 - The Second Princess

The day before the Dragon Boat Festival, Ye Yun was trying on clothes sent by the needlework bureau when Green Lotus came running in from outside.

"Jieyu, something's happening at Yi Mei Pavillion! The Empress has already gone there."

"It's about time for her to give birth. We should get ready and head over. Wang Jieyu is having her first child, so it might take some time. Luckily, I just had lunch," Ye Yun said nonchalantly.

Ye Yun changed into casual attire and went out. She thought that if she had to sit at Yimei Pavilion for a long time, wearing something too complicated would be exhausting.

By the time she arrived, many people were already seated, including Ning Chen. Having recently lost a royal heir, Ning Chen was especially concerned about Wang Jieyu's current pregnancy.

After Ye Yun greeted everyone, she sat down. Shortly after, Wen De Fei arrived. She asked, "How is Wang Jieyu? It doesn't sound too loud in there."

"The imperial physician said that Wang Jieyu's pregnancy is progressing well. Although it's her first child and might be more challenging, everything is fine," the Empress replied with a smile.

It was rare to have a smooth delivery, and the Empress was relieved. If things continued to go wrong one after another, she, as the legitimate wife and mother, would be blamed.

Before long, everyone was gathered, and the atmosphere remained pleasant as Wang Jieyu's labor was going well. After about the time it takes for a stick of incense to burn, the sounds from inside became louder, and in just over half an hour, Wang Jieyu safely gave birth to the Second Princess, with both mother and daughter in good health.

Ning Chen finally breathed a sigh of relief—he had another healthy child.

"Someone, pass my decree. Wang Jieyu has done a great service by giving birth. She is to be promoted to Lady XiuYuan!"

Originally, he had planned to promote her just one rank to Xiurong, but after thinking about the earlier loss of the sickly First Prince, and the two children from the Xia family, and Yi Meiren who also passed away, Wang Xiuyuan's safe delivery of a princess brought extra joy.

The Empress smiled as well. Wang Xiuyuan's family background and favor were average, and since she gave birth to a princess, the Empress didn't mind elevating her a little.

"Now that she is one of the Nine Consorts, she holds a primary position. I think Yimei Pavilion is a good place. Once Wang Xiuyuan finishes her postpartum period, she should move directly into the main hall."

Ning Chen nodded. "Hmm, let's go with the Empress's suggestion. For those who've been promoted, make sure their residences are properly arranged as well."

Although there were regulations in the palace regarding who lived where based on their rank, sometimes if the master didn't think about it or didn't say anything, the person would remain in their current residence.

For example, Li Wanrong, who could have her own pavilion, still lived in the east wing of Fuyun Hall. Li Wanrong had always been trying to curry favor with Sun Xiuyi, and the Empress deliberately hadn't changed her residence.

At the moment, the Empress didn't want to make them comfortable. "The Emperor is kind, but we don't have many pavilions in the palace, and some haven't been repaired yet. They're not as spacious as their current places. For example, the back hall of Yao Guang Pavilion, where Chen Wanrong lives, is even better than the usual pavilions."

Ning Chen didn't care about these matters and waved his hand casually. "The Empress can handle it as she sees fit. I don't really know these things."

"Yes, I will make sure to arrange everything properly and not let the sisters feel wronged," the Empress replied with a smile.