Chapter 107 - Why Bother

During the Dragon Boat Festival banquet, the imperial family gathered in the palace to celebrate. With the Emperor having recently welcomed the birth of the Second Princess, it provided some new conversation topics.

Everyone offered compliments, and naturally, all the words were pleasant to hear.

Even the Empress Dowager was sitting together with Tai Guifei (Grand Noble Consort), conversing as if they were the best of sisters—though anyone unaware of the truth might think they truly shared deep affection.

Not long after, the Emperor and Empress arrived hand in hand, appearing as a loving couple.

Though Ning Chen had spent the previous night at Chuxiu Palace, he personally went to Fengxi Palace early this morning to fetch the Empress, showing his regard for her.

No matter how much he favored other consorts, the Empress's status remained unshakable.

After they both sat down, a eunuch announced, "The Virtuous Dowager Consort and Second Princess have arrived!"

At those words, a woman dressed in a stone-blue palace robe entered, accompanied by a young girl who bore a striking resemblance to her.

"Greetings to the Empress Dowager and Tai Guifei," the Virtuous Dowager Consort gave a slight curtsy, holding a string of prayer beads in her hand. As a senior, she was not required to bow to the Emperor and Empress.

"It's rare to see you out. Please, have a seat," the Empress Dowager said with a smile, waving her hand.

The Virtuous Dowager Consort was a woman of few words. After a polite bow, she and her youngest daughter took their seats.

Ye Yun observed quietly, recalling the warlike temperament of the former Emperor. It seemed the Second Princess, Ning Lin, took more after her mother. Her older sister, Princess Jiahe, had a more cheerful disposition.

"Lin'er is growing more and more beautiful. I wonder which young man will be lucky enough to marry her in the future," Tai Guifei complimented with a smile.

The Empress Dowager nodded in agreement, "Indeed, Lin'er is already sixteen, the age for marriage. My younger brother's second son is eighteen this year and recently passed the imperial exams, placing him in the second tier. His family is currently arranging matters. Marriage matters always weigh heavily on the hearts of parents."

This statement was quite pointed.

Ye Yun glanced discreetly at Ning Chen, noticing that he had no intention of responding. She understood that the Empress Dowager's hopes were in vain.

Sure enough, after Tai Guifei made a comment to support the Empress Dowager, they were swiftly interrupted.

"Lin'er is a princess and my own sister. Her marriage must be carefully considered, and her husband should be someone she truly likes," Ning Chen said.

"Thank you for your imperial favor. I have been devoted to prayer and haven't concerned myself with worldly matters. Lin'er's marriage will have to trouble the Empress Dowager, the Emperor, and the Empress," the Virtuous Dowager Consort chimed in at the right moment, aligning with Ning Chen's opinion.

The Empress Dowager was left feeling awkward but wisely refrained from bringing up her own family again.

Sensing the tense atmosphere, the Empress quickly intervened to smooth things over. "Your Majesty, now that Wang Xiuyuan has given birth to the Second Princess, our second sister can also be called the Second Princess. With both of them sharing the same title, it may cause confusion. Since Second Sister has already reached adulthood, why not grant her a formal title?"