Chapter 27 - Mid-Autumn Festival

The Mid-Autumn Festival, a day for family reunions.

Early that morning, several carriages, led by the Empress Dowager, entered Lingxi Garden.

The Emperor and the Empress, along with the various concubines, went out to greet them as a sign of filial piety.

"Your son pays respects to Mother Empress!" No matter his true feelings, Ning Chen maintained a smile.

After all, they were biological mother and son, and the Empress Dowager still had affection for her own child, quickly helping him up.

"How has the Emperor become so emaciated recently? No matter how busy state affairs are, you must take care of your health. I can see that your chin has become a bit sharper."

This comment made the Empress feel uneasy. If her husband's health was poor, it was a reflection of her lack of care.

So she quickly apologized, "It is my fault for not taking proper care. Please forgive me, Mother Empress."

"Don't blame the Empress. It's just that I've been unwell lately, which has affected my appetite. It's no big deal; I see the Imperial Physicians every day to check my pulse," Ning Chen said with a smile.

The Empress Dowager had initially intended to lecture the Empress, given the issue of Chen Baolin's confinement that had not been addressed yet.

However, with Ning Chen defending her, the Empress Dowager feared that any further reprimand might strain the already delicate mother-son relationship, so she let it go.

The family banquet was scheduled for the evening, so the Empress Dowager and the others were taken to their quarters to rest for now.

Meanwhile, Ning Chen accompanied Consort Wen to her residence.

This was Ye Yun's first time seeing Consort Wen and she couldn't help but be impressed. The title "Wen" was indeed fitting for this beauty.

She was as charming as a peach blossom in spring and as pure as a chrysanthemum in September, with a gentle smile and eyes full of tenderness.

Even with her pregnancy, her grace remained unaffected, and her maternal softness only added to her allure.

Such a woman was not only favored by Ning Chen, but also admired by others!

Seeing Ning Chen accompany Consort Wen, the Empress felt uneasy, but Consort Shu felt even more uncomfortable.

They had come from the palace together, and she was even accompanied by the Eldest Princess. Was it possible that the unborn child was more precious than the one already born?

In fact, Consort Shu was overthinking. Ning Chen had only looked at the child briefly when they got out of the carriage.

The Eldest Princess was still young and asleep, so there was no need to disturb her.

However, once someone starts to feel slighted, they tend to get more upset and anxious, imagining the worst scenarios.

Even though she wanted to act, it wasn't something that could be arranged immediately and needed careful planning.

When the Empress Dowager arrived at her quarters, the first thing she did was call Chen Baolin.

In Wutong Palace, it was well known that the Empress was very upset.

"She would love nothing more than to depose me immediately to place her niece on the throne!"

The Empress felt that despite her years of efforts to please the Empress Dowager, providing supplements and making pastries herself, the Empress Dowager had shown no gratitude. It was false to say she wasn't aggrieved or angry.