Chapter 80 - Change

"You're quite well-informed," Ning Chen snorted.

Yuan Jiu quickly lowered his head. "This servant wouldn't dare. It's just my humble opinion."

Ning Chen said no more, turning to enter the inner chamber, but his mind remained fixed on the lingering image of a graceful figure from the banquet.

This time, they were staying in Yuzhou for three full days, not departing until the morning of the fourth day. The next stop would be Zhasake, and from then on, they would have to camp out in tents. 

It was a rare moment of peace, so most of the women were outside, taking a stroll. The residence was spacious, practically a palace, with a lake, gardens, and beautiful scenery.

Jing Fei encountered Lin Jieyu in one of the pavilions. Both had served since the early days. Jing Fei had followed Ning Chen from the very beginning, while Lin Jieyu had entered the household a year later. The two were old acquaintances.

Their experiences were similar: Jing Fei had suffered a miscarriage after six months, while Lin Jieyu had lost her child after four months. Both had been left unable to bear children again.

"Your servant greets Your Highness," Lin Jieyu said, rising to bow.

Jing Fei waved her hand. "No need for formalities. How have you been feeling lately?"

Perhaps it was because they shared the same misfortune, but neither woman had a scheming nature. Although there had been some friction between them in the past, they could now sit and chat.

"Same as always, though at least I can catch my breath." Lin Jieyu lowered her eyes, her voice calm but tinged with a faint bitterness.

Jing Fei sat down beside her. "What's in the past should stay in the past. After all these years, you ought to move on. The Emperor brought you out of the palace, which shows he still cares for you. Why hold on to that incident?"

Back then, both she and Lin Jieyu had been pregnant at the same time, and both had lost their children around the same time, likely due to the same person's actions. They hadn't been able to find out who it was at the time, but upon reflection, they both now had a good idea.

"But I hate it! That was my child. How could I forget?" Lin Jieyu placed her hands on her abdomen, her eyes full of pain.

Jing Fei gave her a long, deep look, finally understanding why, despite having been pregnant, she had been promoted to consort, while Lady Lin remained a mere Jieyu. 

No one wanted to be around someone consumed by resentment, especially not the Emperor.

Lin Jieyu not only blamed the Empress for her miscarriage but also harbored resentment towards the Emperor. At the time, the Emperor had been young and inexperienced, and the Empress had an old and cunning advisor by her side, a nursemaid named Ding, who had orchestrated the loss of their children one after the other.

The Emperor had later tried to make amends, but Lin Jieyu had refused, clinging to her hatred and refusing to let go of others or herself. Naturally, the Emperor had grown distant.

Jing Fei, on the other hand, had grieved but remained rational and calm, avoiding bitterness. This allowed her to retain the affection from their younger days and secure her current status.

"Revenge must be taken, but without the strength to do so, how can you seek it? Think it over carefully, Lin Jieyu. I can't say more than that." Consort Jing offered a gentle reminder before letting the matter rest.

Of course, it wasn't just out of sympathy. At that moment, another figure appeared outside — it was Ye Yun.

The residences were arranged according to rank, so Jing Fei, Lin Jieyu, and Ye Yun lived close to one another. It was no surprise that they would run into each other.

"Your servant greets Jing Fei and Lin Jieyu," Ye Yun said as she bowed. 

Seeing those of higher rank, Ye Yun knew she couldn't ignore them, especially since she had no conflict with these two.

"At ease," Jing Fei said with a smile. "It's rare to meet like this in private. Come in and sit with us."

Ye Yun nodded and entered the pavilion.

"The scenery here in Yuzhou is quite different from the capital. The farthest I've ever been was Bianzhou, so everything along this journey has been fascinating," Ye Yun said with a smile.

"Yes," Jing Fei responded. "Each place has its own customs and ways. I came here once when I was younger, not long after I entered the palace. Back then, His Majesty was still a prince. It feels like a lifetime ago."

At that time, she had accompanied the late Emperor on a northern tour, and Ning Chen had taken two people with him: herself and Shu Fei. 

Now, she was still by his side, but Shu Fei, though she had started the journey, had been sent back to the palace. The thought brought a sigh.

"The further north we go, the more open-hearted the people seem. They also seem to handle their liquor better. I noticed yesterday that the officials drank quite a lot," Ye Yun said, pretending to be a naive young girl who didn't understand much.

Jing Fei, not bothered, smiled and explained, "Ah, you haven't been to Zhasake yet. The people of the grasslands, men and women alike, can all drink. They're truly bold and carefree, and they don't adhere to many rules."

"Really?" Ye Yun laughed. "I've never been one for rigid etiquette. Perhaps I can make a friend or two on the grasslands."

Though there were three people in the pavilion, only Jing Fei and Ye Yun were chatting and laughing, while Lin Jieyu quietly sipped her tea.

Ye Yun discreetly glanced at her several times, noting that Lin Jieyu had a delicate, sickly air about her, but also a stubborn and melancholic presence.

"What's making you all so happy?" A sudden voice interrupted them. It was Ning Chen.

The women quickly rose to their feet as Ning Chen strode into view. He wore a black robe embroidered with a golden dragon with nine claws. A belt of golden cloud patterns cinched his waist, accentuating his tall and elegant figure.

After the women paid their respects, Ning Chen's gaze lingered on Ye Yun for a few moments.

He had indeed come looking for her but hadn't expected to run into her here.

Jing Fei noticed this and, though she felt a pang of jealousy, didn't show it. She spoke first. "I've been out here for a while, and with the wind picking up, I'd best not stay too long. Since Lady Ye is still young, I'm sure she can handle it. I'll take my leave now and let her accompany Your Majesty."

Ning Chen nodded. "Very well. Take care of yourself. The journey can be tiring, so if you feel unwell, be sure to have the imperial physician attend to you."

He then glanced at Lin Jieyu, hesitating for a moment before speaking. "Lady Lin is in poor health. Make sure you continue taking your medicine during the trip. If you need anything, just ask Yuan Jiu. We have all the necessary herbs prepared."

"Thank you for your concern, Your Majesty," Lin Jieyureplied with a slight bow, saying little else as she left with Jing Fei.

Once the two had walked some distance away, Ye Yun spoke softly.

"Your Majesty has finally come to see me. I was beginning to think you might never come again."

Ning Chen lowered his gaze and suddenly took her hand. "I can never win against you. Nor do I want to change you anymore. Just stay as genuine as you've promised me, and never deceive me."

Ye Yun looked at him, surprised. She hadn't expected Ning Chen to accept things so quickly, and for a moment, she didn't know how to respond.

From afar, Lin Jieyu happened to glance back, catching sight of Ning Chen and Ye Yun standing hand in hand. She had never seen him look at anyone that way, and her heart ached even more.

Jing Fei's words echoed in her mind. Perhaps she truly did need to change.