The Archer

After attending morning meetings and postponing or canceling non-urgent ones, Taylor intended to dive into Travis's case. However, she got caught up with urgent paperwork and didn't realize it was already 4 p.m. by the time she finished. She decided to rest her head for a moment.

Suddenly, her office door burst open, startling her. She saw Travis's mother, Donna, entering with Tree behind her, trying to persuade her to leave.

"Mrs. Kelce, you can't be in here without an appointment. Please understand," Tree said, her tone firm but sympathetic.

Donna's eyes were pleading as she spoke. "I'm really sorry for this intrusion, but I need to talk to you, Dr. Swift."

Tree began, "Mrs. Kelce, you need to—"

Taylor takes a breath while pinching the bridge of her nose and cuts her off, saying, "It's alright, Tree. Since she's here, we might as well hear her out. Mrs. Kelce, please, have a seat." She gestured to the chair in front of her desk.

Tree sighed, clearly concerned. "Tay, are you sure?"

Taylor smiled reassuringly. "Yes, Tree. Could you please get me a coffee and clear away these papers before I get buried in them?"

Tree replied, "Right away, boss."

Taylor looked around her office, her gaze lingering on the cluttered desk, the files stacked high like a fortress between her and the rest of the world. The room, usually a place of order and control, suddenly felt too small, too suffocating. The blinds were half-drawn, letting in just enough light to cast long, somber shadows across the room. She turned her attention to Donna, who was sitting on the edge of her seat, wringing her hands together, her knuckles white. "What can I do for you, Mrs. Kelce?" Taylor asked, her voice quieter than usual, as if the weight of the room had pressed down on her chest.

Donna looked up, her eyes glistening in the dim light. "I... I'm losing hope, Dr. Swift," she whispered, her voice fragile, as though the words themselves might shatter if spoken too loudly. "Every day, I feel him slipping further away, and it's breaking my heart. This place—" she glanced around the sterile office, "it's supposed to heal him, but all I see is my son fading away."

Donna's voice trembled, and her eyes filled with tears that she didn't bother wiping away. "I... I'm losing him, Dr. Swift," she whispered, her voice cracking. "Every day, I see him slipping further away, and I don't know how to reach him anymore. It's been a month since he's been here, and each day feels like a year. I watch him fade a little more each time, and it's like... it's like watching my son disappear in slow motion." She paused, her breath hitching as a tear finally spilled down her cheek. "I just want my boy back. Please, help him find his way back to us."

Donna's hands trembled as she reached out and took Taylor's hands in hers. Her eyes, filled with a mixture of desperation and hope, locked onto Taylor's. "I'm pleading with you, Dr. Swift. I'm not just asking for my son; I'm asking for a miracle. My family and I—we're desperate. We need you to help him find his way back."

Taylor felt a deep ache in her chest, an echo of something she'd pushed down for years. The desperation in Donna's voice, the fear of losing someone you love to a darkness you can't pull them out of—it hit too close to home. Her mind flashed to the figure she had once watched shattering into millions of pieces, sinking deeper into a void she couldn't reach.

Taking a steadying breath, Taylor reached across the desk and took Donna's trembling hands in hers. "I know how hard this is, Donna," she said softly, using the woman's first name as a gesture of empathy. "I know what it's like to watch someone you care about fade away." She paused, the weight of her own words settling between them. "And I want to help. I will personally take on Travis's case. We'll do everything we can to bring him back."

Donna's eyes widened, her tears spilling over as she leaned forward, gripping Taylor's hands even tighter. "Thank you," she whispered, her voice choked with emotion. "You have no idea how much this means to me and I am really sorry about barging in."

Taylor gave a small, reassuring smile. "It's what mothers do, right? Fight for their children no matter what. I'm sure mine would have done the same for me."

Donna managed a shaky smile, releasing Taylor's hands as she stood. "I'm so grateful, Taylor. Truly."

As Donna left, Taylor slumped back in her chair, closing her eyes for a moment. The echoes of her past were loud in her ears, but she pushed them aside, focusing instead on the task ahead.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This a short one. 

Thank you for reading

Liked this chapter? Do leave comments.