Chapter 27 "The Story of Erin"

The phone started ringing in Hank's office, so he picked it up.

"Hello?"

"Can I speak to Voight, please?"

"Speaking."

"Are you the maternal grandfather of Mikayla Halstead?"

"I am. Why?"

"I'm calling from Gaffney Chicago Medical Center."

"What? Why? What is she doing there?"

"She just got out of surgery."

"Why was a surgery okayed to be done? You need parental consent for that."

"In this case, we wouldn't have had the time."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It was a drug overdose. We had to pump her stomach."

"I'll be right there." He hung up the phone and grabbed his jacket.

"Everything okay?" Al asked him.

"I don't know. You're in charge until I get back."

"Alright, can do."

When he arrived at the hospital, he found the doctor he had spoken to on the phone.

"So what's this all about? What did you find in her system?"

"A nearly lethal dose of methamphetamine."

"How did she get ahold of that?!"

"You can get drugs on just about every damn street corner in this city. She's awake if you wanted to go see her."

"Damn right I do."

His expression turned to a scowl as he entered her room. She sat up in bed and moved back, not wanting to make eye contact with him.

"What are you doing here? Where's my mom and dad? Where's Jonah?"

"You're acting like I'm here to kill you or something."

"Well...are you?"

"No, I'm not. I'm here to tell you a story."

"Should I be scared?"

"That depends."

"On what?"

"Listen to the story, it has a good moral to it and it might just knock some sense into you."

She sat up a little straighter in bed. "I'm listening."

"When your mother was your age, she got mixed in with a bad crowd. She stared binge drinking, doing drugs, everything that you're doing. She almost died three times from overdoses, just like you.
She stayed out late and several times, didn't even come home after hanging out with friends. She ran away a few times, too. She had sex with a twenty five year old when she was only your age. Camille and I had to force her into rehab at sixteen. After she got out, we immediately kicked her into the police academy. Take a look at her now. That could be you. I guess the moral of the story here is that it's not too late to turn your life around."

"Don't you DARE compare me to my mother! I'm NOTHING like her!"

"That's exactly what she told me when I said she was acting just like Bunny. That's the only life she knew and nothing else. You're going down that same road, kid. This needs to stop."

"Who are you to tell me that?!"

"I'm your grandfather and I have every right to tell you what to do. I have just as much right as your mother and father."