Chapter 31 "The Future"

"Hannah, meet your future husband." Her parents joked.

"How does that make him my future husband?! All he did was hit me with a stupid ball."

"Did I ever tell you that that was the same way I met your father?"

"You are not serious."

"On the first day of camp, he hit me in the head with a ball. Then it just kinda went from there. Here we are, twenty seven years later. Married and we have three kids."

"He likes you."

"DAD!"

He laughed. "Go have fun, kid. We'll see you in eight weeks."

"Eight weeks?! Brayden told me it was only two weeks!"

"Well he lied."

Brayden's head immediately sprouted up, tossing his mother a look in response. "I heard that mother!"

"Hey, before you guys leave, could I ask you something?"

"Sure." They replied.

"Could we see where you guys met?"

Smiles grew across their faces. "Of course, just follow us."

They walked up to the baseball field, and to the very spot Kim sat all those years ago.

"This spot right here was where I sat. A few minutes after sitting here, your father came running over."

"That wasn't a very nice thing to do, old man!"

"What did you just call me?"

"Old man."

He laughed once again, then gave him and Hannah a hug. "Try not to kill each other, okay?"

"No promises." Hannah said, looking up at her father.

"And remember, you won't be able to call us. We can send mail back and forth, but that's it."

"No phone?! Goodbye to my social life." Hannah rolled her eyes.

Kim bent down to her height. "Sweetie, I'm gonna tell you what my dad told me, back when I was your age."

"What's that?"

"Social life? You're ten!"

"That's REAL funny."

While the kids were distracted playing games, their parents were able to sneak off. The camp director came up to the field and asked everyone to gather in a giant circle. Rae was standing next to her.

"Okay everyone! Welcome to another great summer at Camp Riverwalk!"

Cheering and loud screams of excitement filled the air.

"Everyone, this is Ms. Mills."

They all waved to her.

"During the rest of the year, she is a firefighter at Firehouse Fifty One down in Chicago."

Everyone started applauding her, making her smile.

"Later tonight during free time, she will be teaching us girls all about fire safety. Tomorrow, she will be teaching the boys."

"BOOOO!" Mackenzie said, trying not to laugh.

She was asked to come and stand up by Rae.

"This is Ms. Mills' sister, Mackenzie."

"They don't look alike."

Mackenzie's face grew to a glare. "Her and I have the same mom, but different dads."