Chapter 2 (unedited)

Warnings| Strong Language and bullying.
_________________________________________

My parents live in the same house, despite being divorced. However, Mom and Dad still argue like a married couple. Only it seems like these arguments have gotten more intense.

Dad always wakes up in a  bad mood, expecting breakfast to be ready before he has to go to work. If the food isn't prepared and on the kitchen table by seven, he throws a tantrum. Cursing, yelling, even sometimes punching holes in these walls.

Therapy is every week, but it hasnt been helping much. No matter how many times our therapist explains how toxic it is, for parents to argue to fight infront of their kid. There is always an excuse. Our therapist even suggested that one of my parents move out. But of course there is an excuse for that too. "Separate homes? No way, Astery needs both of us" Mom says for the hundredth time, she places her hand on Dad's knee while they're sitting on the couch "Here with him"

Shelby, the family therapist disagrees "Arguing infront of your autistic son or any child at all, does more harm than good" She explains.

"I doubt he even understands" Dad says

"All do respect sir, your son is the smartest kid with autism I know" Shelby says "Last week I asked him if he knows what shit means,  and he told me with no problem"

Dad says nothing, because he knows she is right.

Shelby then looks at Mom "The week before that, I asked him to reenact an argument his parents had. Mom, you even said he repeated it word from word"

Mom nods and glances at Dad, "You know she's right".

"Shut up" Dad yells.

    I look out my bedroom into the living room, through a cracked open door. Earsdropping on the conversation, after I was once again sent to my room; so Shelby can take to my parents in private. Lately family therapy has been more like parent counseling. I watch anxiously as Dad rages out of his seat, I can tell he is not happy.

"Your son might be slow, but he's not stupid" Shelby tells them.

    I can't stand to hear another second of this nonsense. I leave my room, walking toward the front door about to sneak out. Hopeful , I will make it outside without anybody noticing. But, the squeaky door blows my cover.
"Astery, where are you going?" Mom asks, getting up from the couch.

"Out" I say, turning back around to face her. Mom starts rambling, but I block out her voice. When my phone vibrates, I glance at the screen.

"Astery" Mom says

"What?" I say, placing the phone in my pocket.

"EXCUSE ME" Mom yells "ASTERYIAN HEDDLING"

UGH, just hearing that name makes me cringe.

"YOU RESPOND WITH YES, NOT WHAT"  Mom says firmly, placing her hands on her hips.

"Yes.." I say.

"Thank you..now, where are you going?" Mom asks.

     I hear a car horn honking and immediately assume it is Pierson out front to pick me up. "I am gonna sleep over Pierson's for the night" I say.

"Okay fine, do you have your tooth brush and medicine?" She asks "A change of clothes for school tomorrow?"

"Yeah, of course" I hold up my drawstring backpack.

"Alright, I love you" Mom says, kissing the top of my head before I walk out the front door.